Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 or 4x10???? (nemesis)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkenraja, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Ive been looking around and am pretty sure im going to get some Nemesis equipment :D I must say, my first impressions were "it weighs nothing, therefore it sucks!" but i was very impressed by the tone, and so far, i havent heard anything bad about them. great product, and I will save a pretty penny too :D

Now here comes my second Dilemma.

Our band plays at medium - larger size gigs, and I know this power is more than enough from this box (if a trace commando can handle it :p), but

It all comes down to the music we play now.

Should I get a 1x15 combo, or the 4x10 combo?

we play heavy rock (musch like Tool, filter and muse), which combo would be best for this set up....keeping in mind that i COULD get both, but, there is no point, sicne i get power loss from having the external cab present.

you can here the music we play at www.mopedialer.com, perhaps you can form a better opinion.(no plug intended)

Please help me!!!

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I'd go with the 4-10. That front port really moves a lot of air and can give you very solid bottom. The new 1-15 looks smaller than the older model and might not give the same attack and deep bottom. I don't really know. Just my hunch.

bmc

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Just to correct a poor assumption, air only moves out of a port when notes are hit right at the tuning frequency of the cab . . . at that frequency, the cones of the speakers themselves practically stand still.

4. Is this remotely true? I have to say when I am playing my 1200watts of qsc rmx 1850hd through two eden 210xst cabinets they push air out all over my fretboard [edit: different notes all over the fretboard that is]... little chunks of the fibre-fill [sp?] get blown out fairly often too, but I could be wrong.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    At higher frequencies the port isn't that important, in fact it might as well not even be there. There is no air motion through it. But at frequencies right around the tuning of the box / port combination, the air in the port is exactly out of phase with the rear of the speaker firing into the box, which means that the front of the speaker and the air in the port
    are moving together in phase.

Just below the port / box tuning, the phase starts to shift, until the rear of the speaker and the air in the port are in phase, which means that the front of the speaker and the air in the port are 180 degrees out of phase. At these frequencies, any amount of energy you put into the speaker will be canceled out by the air moving in the port.

Clear as mud???

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    That is really interesting.

7. Even though you'd have less power through each speaker you would have alot of extra speaker area and so the apparent volume would be much greater!

The loss in watts through each cab isn't likely to make an audible difference anyway! Just something to consider!

Also I'd go for the 4*10 I'd imagine it'll suit your music better (some of the bands you mentioned deffinatly use alot of 10s) There's also more cone area so more volume!