Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 or 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Feb 12, 2003.

1. 4x10

41 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. 1x15

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    im getting my new amp soon, and i really cant decide between a 1x15 or a 4x10. Im worried that the 4x10 wont have enough "balls" or depth/low end to put it properly, and im worried that the 1x15 will have too much and not enough highs to distinguish the notes.

the 4x10 is cheaper, but going by all my other bass player mates, when they got their first head and cab, they went with the 1x15 and it was great, they swore by it. the brand of cabs that im looking at getting are mercury, they arent a well known brand, and i havent heard too much about them, but thats why im not too sure on what theyre like.

but just in general, what did you guys think would be better by itself, the 4x10 or the 1x15?

2. I've only played through a 4x10 cab once and I loved how the bottom sounded on it... It kicked great.. Lots of definition.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I love the 10s sound. If I could have only one or the other, it would be a 4x10.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    If I can have only one cab, I want it to be a 15. But I'm a 5 string player and I like the response of 15" speakers.

5. 12's my brother. Avatar's pricing is right inline to buy 2 212's for the price of 1x 410. I am not sure if Dave ships to Oz, but it might be worth exploring.

but given the options listed, id go with the 15. itll give you more lows than the 410, which will fill out the bottom better in a band for the time being.
    Ymmv

good luck!

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    4x10 definitely. For the sake of having some volume available if nothing else.

Your hands will thank you.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A GOOD 4x10 weighs more than me! That's a lot of extra weight for not much extra sound. I'd definitely go the 15 but I'd add a horn to cover the high frequencies.

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    4 x 10! I used my Trace head for about 8 years with a Trace 4 x 10. It was great. I did use a 5 string opccasionally, and the low B got a bit muddy, but for all of the rest of the strings it was good.

I added a 1 x 15 about 18 months ago, it helps deepen the sound, and now the low B sounds fantatstic.

If I could only have 1, it's be the 4 x 10!

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Correct answer: BOTH.

Use a 4x10 with a 1x15, and your covered . . .

10. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    if you can have only one, 4x10. that's what i'd take at least.

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hey guys, thanks, i think im going to go for the 4x10, i it doesnt have enough lows, hey ill get used to it in time :D thanks for your help guys :D

12. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    kirby,
    I like the choice but I'm biased as heck to the 4x10 thing. I play 5/6 string and it does just fine(and I have a 15" too, that gets used as an add-on)

13. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    As single cabs, I''d say it's more a matter of personal preference. As for me, I don't like the sound of 4x10's--too much midrange presence.

You have to look at not only the F3, but the response curve. While a 4x10 can get at least as low as a 1x15, they still tend to have a bump somewhere in the midrange that makes it sound less organic to me. Without extensive eq, it's tough to change that character.

I've found that the perfect setup for me is probably two 1x15's with high power handling.

14. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I was a longtime Eden 410XLT guy and I just got tired of dragging a 98lb cabinet from gig to gig. Ten months ago I bought a Bag End S15D and the 410 hasn't seen a gig since. In fact I just sold the Eden the other day. I have lost absolutely nothing in going to the BE 115 except the weight. And in those very rare gigs where I have to move more air I add the Bag End S12D (that I usually use for my upright) to the 15 and I'm back in 410 volume territory.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  16. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    But I like muff... ;)

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Me too. Just not as a component of my tone.

18. Both together is the perfect combination for me.

If I had to choose between them, I'd go 410 for stage monitoring.

19. what response?