Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 pointing down?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Aug 25, 2004.

1. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I saw some guy playing with his rig on a small dolly type roller cart, he had a cab (1x15 I guess) pointing straight down, the speaker must have been about 6" from the ground pointing straight down. a 2x10 on top of that pointing towards the crowd and his amp on top of that. ***? why would he do this? is there any advantage? I don't understand. :confused:

2. I saw a guy at a gig who had:

2x10 facing the crowd, stacked on a 1x15 face down, ZERO distance from the ground.

For awhile.. i really could *feel* the bass. It didnt take long for the speaker to blow.. I dont know if that is related to him facing his speaker down like that...but i am curious what everyone else has to say

3. He pointed the 15 at the floor because he wasn't using it for volume, he was using it for body of his tone. Same reason a guitarist can use a 100 watt 1x12 combo, but prefer a 412 for the body behind the sound. The 115 probaly didn't have great tone, but added the body his 210 was lacking. Sorry if I have the most unintelligent answer in this thread, I'm horrible with words haha.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The guy that owns the cab probably doesn't know the answer to this. He just likes the sound.........

Generally speakeing, when a speaker doesn't fire directly at the listener, the result is a rounder tone which is slightly more efficient in the lows frequencies. Mid and high frequencies are very directional compared to lows. So pointing the speaker downwards is a kind of mute for any mids and highs that cab might have produced.

This is nothing new. Lots of speaker cabs are designed this way both in pro audio (particularly in bandpass and folded horn cabs), and in Hi-Fi. Most home theatre subs fire to the side or straight down.

5. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    mesa or someone, has a cab that has a downfiring speaker, i do believe

6. I find this concept kind interesting. If i put my 115 face down, could I blow the speaker, or is there no real threat? I guess if i dont put too muchpower through it, it should be ok, right?

7. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I'm interested in this concept as well. I liked the way it sounded but I am not interested in damaging a speaker for the sake of an experiment. do these speakers have ports on the sides or is it safe to have the speaker blasting the floor like that? :confused:

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't do it. You're asking for trouble.

9. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Walkabout Scout has a downfiring passive radiator. That's Boogie for a speaker, without a magnet, facing the ground. Don't know how it works, don't know why it does, but do know it sounds good.

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    A passive radiator is a little different. We're talking about an actual active firing speaker pointing down. I can't remember the site, but there are calculations for this type of setup and it does work. However, not all drivers will be able to fire downwards as the force of gravity will be causing the speaker to sag too much. Do a little google search for down firing subwoofers and you'll probably find the info.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Passive radiators are like porting a cabinet. But they take all that excess air that a port just vents and uses it to move another diaphragm. Thus generating more sound with the same amount of power input.