Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x15 vs 2x10 vs 4x.... ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kevinod, Oct 22, 2002.

1. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    Hi,

kinda one of those newbie questions, I haven't been able to find the info anywhere... If theres somewhere handy which has this info point me to that instead of wasting your time with this one!

Ok, just bought a SWR Workingman's 2004, a 200W (4ohm) amp or 160W at 8ohm. From what I understand that is that if you have 2 8ohm speaker cabs running off the amp you get the 200W, otherwise with 1 8ohm speaker cab you get just 160W, that correct?

Anyway, now of course I need speaker cabs and am looking at SWR Workingman's series cabs, and its looking like between the 1x15 and 2x10. Both of these cabs are 8ohm, 200W. I understand its 1 x 15" speaker vs 2 x 10" speakers, but what does that actually mean in sound output? Is the low end better on one? One punchier than the other? More volume??

I've heard people talking about one set of speakers 'move more air' than other speakers, again, what sound effect does that have?

Anywhere that has this kinda thing explained I'd love to have a look at or any info you know on this would be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance, Kev.

2. Kevinod,
    It all comes down to what styles of music you play and WHERE you play.

The 2x10 will (in general) give you more precision and detail in your sound. It's does okay but not outstanding at reproducing the B string. a 1x15 will give you more "throw" or more distance, but it may not be as precise.

A 1x15 moving air can be thought of this way: Think of air as a pool of water. A 2x10 is like sticking a kitchen mixer in the pool. The ripples are very tight, controlled and uniform but not really making a ton of waves. The 1x15 is like throwing your brother in the pool. There will be a lot of waves but they won't be controlled and uniform. Does that help?

If you play in small clubs, lounges or coffee houses, you may want to look into just getting the 2x10. If you play at loud bars, parties, or concerts, then you want to get both the 2x10 and the 1x15.

Also, the style of music you play has a lot to do with your selection. Jazz, funk, and fusion players like the precision of the 10's. Reggae and dub players like the phat, round tone of the 15's. If you play loud metal, alternative, grunge, etc. I would get both.

Hope this helps.

3. kevinod

kevinod

Jun 29, 2002
    Cork, Ireland
    Hey Zon4John,

thanks for that! Can definately picture throwing my brother in the pool, excellent metaphor!

Initially (prob. for a good while) I'll be more likely to be gigging in smaller pubs so it sounds like the 2x10 could be the way to go... and add on a 1x15 later as I move onto bigger gigs.

Music more rock type music so far..

Many thanks for your reply! Will have to make another trip into the music store over the weekend!
    Kev.