1x15's: Ampeg PF vs Genz Benz Focus

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eeyorebass, Apr 29, 2012.

1. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    Has anyone had a chance to try both?

I'm looking for a reasonably priced 1x15 to pair with an Ampeg PF500, and I've narrowed it to these two. Whichever I choose, I'll probably get a second one down the line.

The obvious choice is the Ampeg pf115he, but I'm also very curious about the new GB Focus cabs. I'll get a chance to try the Ampeg, but probably not the GB.

I play all passive 4 strings.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Haven't tried the Focus cabs, but got nary a bad word to say about Genz Benz. I own two PF115he's, though. Excellent cabs. Despite being sealed they go lower than your typical 115's, they have a really smooth tweeter in them that almost makes me not hate tweeters, and to me they sound like a cross between the original double baffle B-15 cabs of the 60's and the bigger and deeper sounding Thiele B-15 cabs of the 70's. I use them with either a PF350 or my B-15 head, though I'd really like to try them with my SVT sometime.

3. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    I used to have a '69 b-15n as my "practice amp," so I've got that as a reference point. If the Ampegs do that on a larger scale, I will be sold.

Plus, I love the look of the PF's.

Jeremy

4. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    speaking of not hating horn/tweeter - I sniped off ebay a floor model GK 115 MBX cab, which they don't make but they replaced with a Neo 115 that might be similar. the MBX weighs 41 lbs and is a semi-compact cab with a horn. I am way more impressed than I thought I would be with the sound and especially with the efficiency. the horn/tweet is very nice - so nice I won't turn it off - its subtle. when I run the 'snap' up on my rig, its there, and when I cut the highs, its invisible. you might want to snoop around and see if you can spot one of these, or try the successor.

5. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I'd like to know if anyone has tried the Focus 112s. I play in a eleven member band, and my rig is over kill on a lot of gigs. I come threw the mains, and my rig is nothing more than stage volume, and a monitor for me. Some sound crews bring a rig for me, and that normaly a combo, and one sound guy just has me come threw the monitors, and I don't use a amp.

I said all that to say I want something small, but easy to move in and out in just a few minutes, with a small foot print, for those nights I do bring a rig. I was thinking two of the Focus 112s stacked would be enough, if they sound good.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021