Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x18 vs. 2X15 eden??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendgrumble, Apr 19, 2003.

1. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Consider buying 1x18 or 2x15 eden cab to go with my 4x10xlt and wt800 head. I'm looking for some massive low end(dub reggae stuff) but i want some loud and flexible. Don't know if the 18 would be too much. Please let me know what you think with your expeirence.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    18's are for shakin the floor, 15's still do that while retaining some punch. With the EQ, you can get a lot of different sounds.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    18's are power hogs, better have enough juice to feed that puppy. With some of the 4x10's I have heard recently, I dont know if you will really notice that much more punch with a 215. If you have the juice and want serious bottom, get the 18, IMO, another 410 will give similar results as a 215 with alot less weight. But thats just my experience.

Mike

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Depends on the brand, I guess, Mike. A D-410XLT is 98 pounds, the D-215XL is 97 pounds. Of course the D-215XLT is a couple pounds heavier at an even 100.

5. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Almost all the 2x15 cabs I have seen have been 4 ohm boxes. I have seen 1x18s that are 4 ohm and also 1x18s that are 8 ohm. Be really careful -- IF your 4x10 is an 8-ohm box, I would recommend getting another 8-ohm box so that you end up with both boxes drawing equally from the power source for a total 4-ohm load. Sorry if that is off-topic a bit, but I think it is a much more important consideration since you have a real nice 4x10 and you do not want to mismatch it -- if you do, you may find that you can't hear one box unless you push the other box too hard. I personally think that a solid 1x15 adds plenty of booty with a 4x10, for less money and less weight. If you have little or no help from your PA then you may well prefer a 1x18. Another thing you might want to consider is replacing the 4x10 altogether with a 2x15 standalone, which I think offers a great reggae tone. Happy testing!

6. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    I had thought of the ohm thing?? I'll have to check to see what mine 4x10 xlt is rated at for the ohms. Do you if there is a standard ohm for the 410?

Also, interesting point that you think a 2x15 would sound good enough alone. Perhaps i should pass up on the eden and try to find a 2x5 that is a little more high end and i could get "everything" i need out of it?
    Would you rcomend any brands that make a killer 2x15??

c

7. Almost all of the Eden gear sold here is 8ohm, if you want a 4ohm cab they generally have to be ordered. It should say right on the back of your cab, mine does.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mesa Boogie used to make an absolutely killer 2x15. I believe it was offered in both Road Ready and Diesel format. I very nearly bought the Diesel 2x15. It had tons of punch and clarity, while at the same time cranking out gobs of pant-flapping lows. It would have easily sufficed as a stand alone cab, and I would think that it would serve both punk and hard rock well.

Tom.

9. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned the Eden 118XL and currently own the Eden 215XLT. The 215 has the low end rumble with more low midrange punch than the 118.

Overall, the Eden 215XLT is a pretty full range cab and would serve well on its own in many situations. It doesn't have as much midrange cut as the 410XLT, but it has much more low end.

If you're looking to extend the range of your 410XLT, you may also want to consider a 115. Keep in mind that the Eden 215XLT is a 4 ohm cab.

10. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Would i be able to use the 2x15 as a stand alone with my wt 800 head, which i think is 8ohms but i dont know. Thats where im unclear. Does the amp have to say 4ohms too, or can i use my wt800 with a 4ohm cab?
    Thanks for your advice

11. You could use it off one side of the amp (at 400 watts), but the 800 only bridges into an 8 Ohm load.

12. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Not all are 4 ohm. I am currently looking at a 215XLT in stock at a local music store. It is 8 ohm. My problem is I need the 4 ohm version.
    The store (friend of mine) said he could load the cab with 1,000 watt celestians and make up the 4 ohm cab. Depending on the price he comes back with would everyone do this or would you order the 4 ohm version from Eden?

13. Thats odd because all the Eden webpage lists is 4 Ohm 2x15 cabs.

14. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    This cab was ordered as 8 ohm. My friend thought if someone wanted to take a wt500 and bridge it the 8 ohm 215 would be a great singel cab match.

15. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    So is what your saying is that he orded it from eden as an 8 ohm cab??? If thats possible, i think my problems are solved...

16. DRN

DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas

Yes 8 ohm from the factory. I just confirmed it with him.

17. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    Ok, if you want to use a 2x15 cab alone, get a 4 ohm cab so you can use all of your power instead of just half with a 8 ohm cab. If your 4x10 is 8 Ohm, get a single 15 8 Ohm. In all honesty, a 2x15 cab is gonna be more than enough by itself unless you are on tour with the Chili Peppers. I have a brand new Eden 410XLT in 4 Ohm CHEAP, if you or anyone else is interrested. I am a big fan of the 2x15's though. Especially the OLDER Mesa Boogie Diesle cabs. that is what I play through with an Eden WT400 head, and a Sansamp as a stomp box for an even fatter bottom. I have found that on small stages, the 2x15 is alot better, at least Mesa's anyway. with the 410, I have to be quite a ways away from it to get the sound, but the Diesle cab can be a foot or three away from my back and I can hear the notes much better, and with a smoother tone. If you are not sure about Ohms, it generally goes like this.

You can safely run 2 8 Ohm cabs, or 1 4 Ohm cab. However certain heads like many of the SWR heads, can run 2 4 Ohm cabs safely. Look on the back of your head and it will say what the MINIMUM load will be.
    figure two 8 ohm cabs equal 4 ohms, two 4 ohm cabs equal 2 ohms. Just dont ever run a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm together, because that figures out to like 3.2 ohms and thats generally bad.

Mr. Pitiful

18. Is it bad?

If your amp can handle 2 ohm loads, isn;t any combination of loads above that ok? I don;t seem to remember the manual for my peavey head saying different loads on each output were a problem...

19. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    With your WT800 you can run 2 4ohm loads (one 4 ohm load on each side in stereo) at 400W a piece. Or, you can run 1 8ohm load bridged at 800W.

You can use any combination of cabs in stereo mode as long as you do not go under a 4ohm load on either side.

20. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    No, you dont ever want to run at 3.2 ohms. If your head can run at 2 great, some can, most cant, but 3.2 is still a no no. Thats what I have been told by alot of sound techs.

Mr. Pitiful