Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2-10" or 1-15"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kamikaze, Dec 30, 2004.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze

Dec 30, 2004
    Hello!

I am going to be purchasing a Yorkville amp soon, and am stuck deciding between a 200W 2-10" amp
    Link to 2-10" amp
    or a 200W 1-15" amp.
    Link to 15" amp
    Everything else about these amps is the exact same.

I'm playing an Ibanez EDA-900 Ergodyne. It's a 4-string with magnetic and piezo pickups.
    Which amp am I better off buying? At first i figured the 2-10", because a 15" and two 10" have the same surface area, but the 2-10"s would be tighter because there are two seperate speakers doing the work. But then a 15" could give a nice warmth to a 4 string....so I'm really not sure.

Any advice?

2. fattie64

fattie64

Oct 3, 2004
    it just depends. if you want more punch, go with the 210. if you want more deep power sound go with the 115. i would get them both if i was you though ;)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Apples and oranges, they have VERY different sound character. Regardless of similar speaker area, they sound very different. You really need to play through both and see which better fits your tastes.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

4 string bass - get the 2x10
    5 string bass - get the 1x15

I'd also get extension cabs at some point to round out the sound.

5. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    It really depends on how you're going to be using it. If you're going to be doing more close in rehearsal or practice, I'd go with the 210. If you're going to be gigging with it pretty heavily, well, I'd still go with the 210 but that'd be a better situation for the 115. In the end it's all about what you're looking for though and I dig tiny speakers. :cool:

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    They most certainly don't have the same surface area. To determine the surface area of a circle, take pi times the radius squared

2x10:
    2 x (3.14 x (10" x 10")) = 628 square inches

1x15
    3.14 x (15" x 15") = 706.5 square inches

7. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    To me, the issue is clarity. I have a new (to me) GK 210 with a 15" as an extension. The 210 provides more clarity and variety of tone, so it will be my primary rig, for rock and for jazz. When it's time to just get loud and percussive without the need for detailed clarity , it's the 1 15.

What kind of music would you use the amp for?

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree. Start with the 210 then ad a 15 cab later.

9. redwood

redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I also agree. Go 2x10 then add a 15 as needed.

10. id buy a 1x15 myself for a deep warm sound but theyre not too good for slap for which you need smaller speakers (like 2x10) or a hood horn speaker for the pops.it depends what type of music u want to play!!

11. kamikaze

kamikaze

Dec 30, 2004
    thanks for all of the input.

I am going to go with the 2-10". I can add the 1-15" extension cab later, which will no doubt round out the sound nicely. Thanks again!

12. kamikaze

kamikaze

Dec 30, 2004
    there is the 1-15" extension cabinet here.

Link to ext. cab

Think the 200W can pump BOTH the 2-10" and the 1-15" without any problems?

13. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Area = Pi x radius squared.

210 A= 3.14159 x (5*5) x 2 (for the two tens) = 157 inches squared.

115 A= 3.14159 x (7.5*7.5) = 175.71 inches squared.

Peace
    -Ben

14. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    It says that cab has a minimum impedence of 2 ohms. Does it put out 200 watts @ 2 ohms? If so I'd think that you'd want more power to the 210/115 set up then 100 watts to each cab. It might work, but that's not head room at all. I've squeeked by on 130 watts to an 8 ohm 410 before, but it would clip every now and again. I know I would want more watts going to my cabs.

Peace
    -Ben

15. Math is right, source is incorrect.

The part of the driver that does the work is the piston. This is the "Sd" part of the Thiele/Small parameters for the particular driver. The piston is smaller than the total diameter of the driver, and varies depending on surround.

The piston for a typical 10" driver is 53 square inches and 132 square inches for a typical 15".

16. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for cleaning that up bgavin, I'll just reverse the math to find out the size of the piston.

Peace
    -Ben

17. Most drivers have published specs. You can use the diameter of the cone + the midpoint of the surround, to get a general approximation.

I keep all this data in my spread sheet for a lot of popular drivers.

A point over looked is the amount of air moved (Vd) by a given driver. This is the part where the work is done. The larger drivers typically have a longer Xmax value, and combined with their larger cone areas, move a significantly larger amount of air than do the 10s.

The trade off is cabinet size, low frequency response, and punch.

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    We're talking the XM200T here, right? And that combo does have a minimum impedance of 2 ohms (I found that out the embarassing way, do a search if you like to see how that went down...)

Regardless of minimum impedance, I can testify that the amp sounds much louder than 200W. Keep in mind that historically, Yorkville has always rated their gear on the conservative side. Check the "burst power rating" (don't have it on hand, but it'll be on the website and in the owners manual), that will tell the true tail of what this amp is capable of.

19. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Burst power is 250W. I will agree that this amp sounds very loud for 200 watts. I haven't run this through an extension cab yet. But into it's external speaker, it puts out a lot of sound.

I got the XM200C, because I prefer 15's. This amp is clear and punchy, no matter where you are on the bass IMHO.

As far as whether to get a 1X15 or 2X10-you'll have to go by what sounds best to you.

Either way, you can't go wrong. :bassist:

20. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    External or internal? (Since you say you haven't tried it through an extension cab, I'm going to assume you mean the internal speaker of the combo...)