2-112's louder than a 212?? Why??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, May 19, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have two Epi 112's and an Epi 212. Why does the stack of 112's sound so much better, and louder than the 212?

Can anyone tell me??

The two 112's are a 4 ohm load and the 212 is a 4 ohm load so hooked up to an amp, they present the same load. I don't get it.
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    You'd have to ask Nick if the boxes are tuned differently. Sounds as if they are, and you prefer the 112 tuning.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I have a Bergie HT212 & two HT112's...the 2/12 is louder than the two single 12's together! But the box size and ports are probably the reason.. plus Jim uses different woofers in the two cabs.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm going to presume you tried out both rigs in the same room? You didn't take one rig to one gig and the other rig to a different gig the following night? I'm also going to assume that the single 12's are 8 ohms each wired up in parallel for a total 4 ohm load.

To the naked eye the speakers look like they're identical but the porting does look different so Geshel could be right. It also appears that the combined box volume of the 2 seperate cabs is larger then the 2x12 cab? Or is that just an optical illusion?
  5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    The room is my living room. No difference in acoustics.

Each 112 is 8 ohms and I run them in parallel for a 4 ohm load. (However, 1 cab with 1000 W to it is freakin' awesome!! :bassist: :bassist: )

The 112 stack is slightly taller than the 212, however I attribute that to the two slabs of wood that separate them (the top of one and the bottom of the other, that wouldn't be there otherwise)

I can't say with certainty that the combined volume is more. Like I said in the above paragraph, there are two extra pieces of wood between the two 112's, so I think volume isn't a factor except that each 112 cone works independently to move it's own mass of air as opposed to the 212 where the two cones work together to move the same mass of air, if that makes any sense.

As far as porting, that's the biggest difference. Each 112 has a 3" x 6" port. The 212 has two 1"x12". For a total of 18 in^2 * 2 for 36 total in^2 as opposed to 24 in^2 (in^2 is engineer computer speak for square inches, at least it was when I took FORTRAN 12 years ago
    :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Another difference is that each 112 has it's own tweeter, however there isn't a difference in the clarity of the highs as much as there is a difference in perceived volume, punch, and overall presence.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Without knowing the depths of the ports it's hard to say if the resulting frequency is different.
  7. Dang thats a nice looking rig!
  8. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    try posistioning the different cabs, with the one you want to test NOT directly on the floor as the 2x12 appears to be

the 2 cabs on top of that may sound differently due to being off of the carpet ....
  9. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

10. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    When I do my test, I put the 212 on the floor and stack the 2 112's on the floor right next to it.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dag, that is one "tower of power"! :eek:

what everyone else said, pretty much resonants with me.

in my Epifani post, i remarked how i had the same feeling when i played a pair of UL 1x10s, which seemed to have a bigger tone than the single 2x10's more focused punch.

hopefully, in a few days, i'll have my own mini-me "tower of power"! :bassist:
  12. According to the specs, they should be the same. The 1x12 is 100 db sentivity and the 2x12 is 103 db. The exterior cab dimentions of the 2x12 actually take up more space than the a pr of 1x12s. One can only assume that the 2x12 has more internal volume than a pr of 1x12s. And you say that you 2 1x12 cabs are much louder than your 2x12.:meh: So much for specs.........;)
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Good point, you shifty-eyed bastard. (J/K, referring to your avatar...:D )

To put it another way: if the two 1x12 cabs are "midrangier", they might cut through the mix a little better...
  14. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I think that might be it. Maybe with the extra port space happening and the independent air mass movement thing goin' on, the 112's are more pronounced in the lower mids giving them more bark and presence.
  15. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well the 2x12's are made more for bassier things, while the 1x12's seem to be more extensions, or add-ons for others. are the acutal speakers inside the same? Maybe the 112 is tuned for more of a mid/hi and the 2x12 is low's. one thing i noticed is on the 1x12 is that there is an extra port that the 2x12 doesn't have... and having the 1x12's completely in seperate boxes might change the sound, I.E. the way the 2x12 is split (single chamber? 2 chambers?) whatever, there are alot of things that can affect your sound. Good luck finding out what works. Just a question... what do you have in that rack???
  16. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Furman PL Tuiner
    Alembic F1X
    Alembic SF2
    Peavey DPC 1400X

(Not pictured: X Wire and possibly a Lexicon MPX-100)

The 4 space you see in the pic is my mainstay. That plus 1 - 112 or both will fit in my Miata along with my bass.

For stoopid big gigs, I'll augmentt what you see above with an additional 4 pace rack containing the X Wire and a Mackie 1400 to power the 212.
  17. Damn, that is some rig. You must be HELLA LOUD!!! I'm afraid that might be overkill though, my friend. But I'm sure you never have to worry about not being loud enough, that's for sure!:D

Anyway, how does it sound with everything together?

And you don't practice with the entire rig, right? I feel bad for the neighbors, or anyone living in your house for that matter if that's the case, :p LOL...

Finally, who cares if 2 1x12s sounds louder and better than the 2x12. You have both setups already, so just crank 'em and enjoy!

18. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well the midrange guess was probably the best one kids...........
    the 212 definitely has more bass (as most larger cabs do)
    the smaller 112 cabs definitely have a lil less bass and more pecieved mids, (probably more High-mids) than the 212.
    due to the nature of human hearing we hear midrange frequencies better than low frequencies
    plus, in my experience, boosting the mids has always helped me "cut through" in difficult band situations
    i belive it's just a matter of a slightly different voicing causing you to be able to hear the 112's better
    as for it sounding better, that's largely subjective but i know several people who prefer the sound of multiple single driver cabs better than a multiple driver cab
    damn, i wish i had your speakers mario:mad: