1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(2) 112's or (2) 210's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Malachi71, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I'm looking to put together a smaller rig and wanted to get some advice on which of these two setups would offer the best sound. I know this is subjective but I want to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of these two types of rigs. I'm going for a more vintage sound with rounded lows, articulate, punchy mids, and twangy (not clicky string sound) highs.

2. my vote is for the 1x12. especially if you use a 5. they just seem to have a fuller sound. with a nicer low end. and i like the focus of a cab with one speaker.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Eh, 12's are not necessarily going to sound any better than a properly designed 210. 2) 210's is going to be a lot louder than 2) 112's. I'd vote for 10's any day, they have a punch that cuts through better than any other speaker and I'd vouch that a good 210 will go lower than most 112's.

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    one 2x12?

5. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    I'd like to consider two cabs with my setup instead of one. I'm using a Yamaha PB1 through a Carvin DCM 1000. So I technically could biamp using both channels or run it full range bridged. I've been looking at two Avatar SB112's or two Avatar B210's. I think that both options will match well to my amp/preamp.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Biamping won't gain you anything with two cabs of the same or similar passband. Indeed, you would be better off running bridged or dual mono, or both on the same channel.

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    (2) 210's

8. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa

want vintage,go 12s;)

9. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    If you're planning on bi-amping, I say get one 1x12 and one 2x10. That's a sweet small rig.

10. davkane

davkane Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    I am in a similar predicament, but I was trying to decide between another 1x12 or a 2x10 (I already have an avatar SB112). Would it be a bad option to have one of each, is that why you do not want to consider it?

11. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    even if you're not biamping, I'd say a 112 and a 210. portable and damn loud. should be enough for most situations.

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    It's not biamping if you are running both cabs full range. Full range for both cabs is actually what you meant, isn't it?

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Another vote for one of each. Variety is always best.

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have two B210's and one SB112 (all Delta's) ... lots of options there, either in stand alones or stacks .. JMHO

15. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Dual 112's sound thicker to me than dual 210's. They might not be quite as loud, but they are more transportable and cover most anything. Add a third and it starts getting mean.

210's, IMO, are worthless. A single one is two big for most small gigs, and dual 210's are too much for average gig. On the other hand, a GOOD single 112 can cover lots of things very well with a very thick tone, and it's easy to transport. When you add another, they couple and the tone gets much deeper and fuller. They stack vertically, which helps with dispersion.

All IMO.

16. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I know 112 cabs are all the rage but I still have never heard ANY single driver cabinet that has impressed me (accept 118 subs :smug: ) . Too me a multi driver cab always sounds better then a single driver cab, so my vote would be for the (2) 210 cabs.

17. BoomSTICK

BoomSTICK

Jul 23, 2001
    Atlanta
    I say go with the 212's in singles. I enjoy the 210's as well but they lack the *butt* I need.

The right amp and bass, those are important as well.

Just try to play all the cabs you can and see what calls you back.

that's how I picked up my two 112 bergies. :D

Let us know what you decide on, Good luck.

18. Malachi71

Malachi71

Oct 11, 2007
    If I did decide on one Avatar SB112 and one B210 would they be compatible? The 112 is rated at 250 watts and the B210 is rated at 500 watts. How can I control the amount of wattage given to each cab when what they can handle is not the same? Is this a problem?

By the way, I was checking out the Avatar site. If I wanted to get the new Neo 12 LF do I have to specify that I want that speaker or does this speaker now come stock in the SB112? Has Avatar done away with the non LF?

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The power ratings for each cab are fine. No need to worry, I run two cabs, one rated at 600 and the other at 800 watts. So long as the impedences are matched, all is well.

20. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    img_0004.