1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2.125" Nut on a 5 String - Bad Idea???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Twocan, Feb 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I am in the midst of purchasing a used Alembic custom ordered 5'er over the internet. I just found out that the width at the nut is 2.125" instead of the standard 1.875" width for this particular model. That's actually the width of the normal six string for this model.

My Fender P5 has a 1.875" nut, which feels great to me. I do not have monster hands and will not get to play this bass before purchasing it.

Can I please have your thoughts? Is this a deal breaker? Thanks.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

All I can say is I like my Precision V just fine. An Alembic to a Fender is a Mars Venus in most respects but, Alembics are really nicely made. Betcha don't have a problem.

3. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    2.125 is HUGE!
    My 55-01 is 1.81 and that's on the larger end of most 5 string basses. Are you sure that isn't the width of the neck at the 12th fret or the neck heel?

4. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    I find wider spacing on a 4 a bit easier. Not sure if that is relevant to the described wide 5 or not.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Wow. What's the spacing at the bridge?

6. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I may have to moderate my views just a bit, 2.125 inches on a 5 seems huge to me, but Warmoth offers a 2.165 nut on it's "wide" Gecko bass necks.

Nuts around 2.125 seem more common on a 6 strings, but maybe it's not so uncommon on a 5'er if Warmoth is making it?

I agree, but 1.75 is about as wide as 4 string basses come.

7. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    2.125" at the nut. 3.125 at the 24th fret

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Yeah, just wondering if a more 4 like spacing might have an advantage.

9. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I think you're on to something. a 2.125" 5 string neck would be pretty darn close to retaining the same string spacing at the nut as a 4 string P-bass with a modern'ish 1.675 string nut width.

I kind of want to try a bass like this now.

Scatabrain likes this.
  10. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Radius?

11. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    My Lakland is 1.81 at the nut which is very playable. I don't think I'd notice the difference between that and the 1.87 of the P5.

I probably wouldn't choose to go wider than that.

12. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    My squier pro tone p v had a 2in nut. It was definitely wide!. I have larger than normal hands and it fatiqued them much much quicker. Glad i sold it. Everything was great, except the wide nut

13. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    That's about Classic taper measurement on the nut (Spoiler, Persuader, Distillate, Elan, Signatures, classic Series I/II) and Comfort taper at the bridge (Epic, Orion, Excel, Essence, Rogue, Europa)

Classic taper:
    [​IMG]
    Wide nut, narrow bridge. (2.00 at nut, 2.50 at 24th fret)

Comfort taper:
    [​IMG]
    Narrow nut, wide bridge. (1.875 at nut, 2.93 at 24th fret)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  14. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Thanks FC!

15. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I find the wider spacing at the nut and bridge more comfortable--the Warmoth "Wide 5" (2.165" at the nut, .787"/20mm at the bridge) is pretty much a P-bass spacing extended to 5 strings, and suits me just fine even without having particularly big hands, but it's really a personal thing.