1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 15 inch cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 4stringPhlegm, Apr 15, 2010.

1. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    Lately I've been wondering why you don't see many rigs in this configuration? (2 15)

Does it have to do with the tone, or is it that the people who do use that combination aren't sharing it?

anyways I want to hear from you guys that do/have used 2 15 inch cabs,
    and any other feedback on the combination

2. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    A dual 15" cab probably won't have the same top end and midrange dispersion as a cab with smaller speakers or a multi-way cab will. They can also be very large and very heavy.

3. there hasnt been a great deal of 215 cabs made recently by mainstream manufacturers but theres plenty of them floating around. Have a look over at the big cabs club and you'll see alot. trace elliot used to (and maybe still does) make a 2215 cab thats pretty popular and peavey has a line of big cabs with 15s and 10s in various combinations.

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Do you mean two 115's? Or do you mean a 215? Both are very common, so I'm not sure what you are asking. :confused:

5. I have a Kustom 2x15's cab that I use at my church and absolutely LOVE the tone. The only thing is, its one dang heavy cab. I leave mine at the church and just roll it up onto the stage...glad i dont have to load it in my honda element every time.

Now I use it with a Peavey VB-2 all-tube head, so that has a lot to do with the tone as well (and the weight of the rig overall lol). But it's by far the best sounding rig that I've ever used IMO. Using the two 15's gives it plenty of cone space to be really loud and have a nice, fat tone with plenty of muscle and thump. If you can get one (I got mine for a really really good price...$150) I would nab one, most people are anxious to get rid of them because they weigh so much. If you have a good place to leave it or you dont mind wheeling it around, go for it.

6. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Some of my favorite tones have come from playing through 215 cabs. Why on earth I don't have one is beyond me. May need to remedy that situation in the coming months. I might build one of those greenboy 151566 cabs. Although word is Avatar is bringing back a 115 cab. Might pick up a couple of those.

I've had an old Fender 215 I rescued and fixed up. It was light and easy to move around. I wish I still had it.

I had a Paradise 215 I loaded with Gauss Speakers. Sounded great but weighed a ton.

I also played through an old Acoustic rig that had a 215 cab. Man oh man it sounded awesome. I quit taking my own rig when I was playing at that studio.

7. size and weight mostly....they actually ain't that bad if you have a dolly.....small cars are limiting too.......

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I love 2x15 it's one of my favorite cab configurations and the one I have used the most over the years. IMO the reason they have fallen out of favor has to do with the rise in popularity of the high fidelity bass sound. Couple that with the general desire amoung bassists for smaller, lighter rigs and one can understan why 2x15s have taken the backseat in the cab wars.

There are still companies that offer them and with modern speakers and cab construction they sound great and are lighter and more portable than they used to be.

Try some out, you might find you actually prefer them to some other, more popular, configurations.

Cheers!

9. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    15" speakers are quite popular at the moment what with drivers like the kappalite 3015 and 3015lf.

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I have this, loaded with a pair of Kappa LFAs - and it kicks some serious a$$...

Peavey215D-BW009.

11. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The Bag End S15 and S15X stack has a bit of a following here, too. I love 15s.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm loving my Aguilar DB115. Adding another would be an easy call. I haven't had the need for that much firepower so far.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa Deisel 215 is one of my all-time favorite bass cabs. Plenty of mids, and more than enough bottom.

14. 4stringPhlegm

4stringPhlegm

May 17, 2009
    So what do you all think about the claims that 15s don't support mids/highs as well as other speaker sizes?

15. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I played a 2x15 cab for years. I then discovered an SWR 4x10 cab that had an incredible tone. Since then I have discovered an SWR 6x10 cab that, to me, has so much more tone than I ever got out of 2 x 15 speakers. For me, the quality of sound is far superior coming from the six 10" speakers. This is strictly my own ears' opinion.

16. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My experience with my DB115 has been that the mids are just fine, and the highs are lacking a little bit of sizzle. Compared to the 10" DB-series cabs, the DB115 is not as mid-forward, but I'd hardly call it lacking in the mids. To me it sounds very balanced. It's exactly what I want from a tweeterless 15" cab, and it's perfect for the music I'm playing.

On another note...you can't judge the sound or frequency response of a cab by the size of speaker alone. There are numerous factors that go into determining how a cab will sound.

17. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    You can't claim anything based on speaker size alone. That said, it would be silly to have such a big driver handling the highs as the beaming would be terrible.

18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    My Bergantino NV215 is my go to cab these days. Granted , it also has a 6" driver which gives it a full range sound with heaps of punch. One day I am sure Jim will start making theses again.

19. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Isn't that part of the attraction?

I love my two 15" Orange cabs to death...never been happier with my sound.

20. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I don't play the mid or the high, I play the bass. I prefer to 2x15s to any other configuration. I like to rumble the guitar player's drink right off his amp.