1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 15in separate cabs. low budget. what to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mschiff, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I want two 15in speaker cabs (modular for moving purposes) to be run off a 500w amp. Ive been looking all over for info and it's taking too long. therefore i started a thread. Don't have alot to spend so ive been looking at Acoustic and Kustom ($99!!). I crave low end response and like 15s. right now i have a 410. it's great and all but a little anemic at the low frequencies. yeah i know - add another 410. I want to try 15s. I play good ole rock progressive style, alternative and a little punk.
    Recommendations please. weight not an issue. price is. i'll sacrifice a little quality but not much. thanks

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Get the NEO Kustom cabs right now from www.wwbw.com with free shipping. Just don't think adding a 15 will help the 410's. Not many reviews, but all seem good.

3. I would just keep an eye on your local craigslist. I have seen (and bought) a lot of 15" cabs on CL. Seen Mesa, Eden and Peavey for under $200. They are certainly out of vogue these days. Everyone is either going for 4x10 or "super" twelves with neo speakers.
    You will find that any single 15" is not going to be as loud as a 4x10. Heck you will likely need two 1x15 cabs to sound about the same loudness as a decent 4x10.
    Honestly I find that 2x12 cabs strike a good balance between the 15" thump and the level/dispersion of a 4x10.
    I woudl stay away from Acoustic, Kustom and Behringer/Bugera.
    You would likely just blow those trying to get loud.

4. +1

To the OP, what head are you using? A 2 Ohm stable head opens your options up a bit. There are some really good Peavey 115 cabs that can be had for cheap, but they are 4 Ohms.

5. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    I will not be adding the 15s to the 410. i know that's a booboo. i got GAS and want to try a 15in dual cab rig. one of those cheap kustom cabs has a neo speaker and the other doesnt. how about this - replace the speakers in a kustom or acoustic with a decent eminence 15?

6. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The speakers in the Kustom are Eminence 15 NEO's. Thus the incredible deal.

7. point less. will still blow your budget.

8. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    sooo. you think that would be worth a try? lots of folks are jumping on the deal but none have reviewed them yet. guess they havent arrived yet.

9. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Premier Guitar has a review of it. For 99 bucks it seems like a steal to me.

10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    could the kustoms work for me, i play in a droning goth project (need deep sound)

laying out a bunch of cash for a matching black orange 115 seems pretty unreasonable right now, but i must admit it sounds great with my mesa d180

11. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    What's the rating on the Orange?

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    orange is 400 watts at 8 ohms, i think i need to have another 15 for a larger place like a museum or an art festival

13. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    the one kustom with the neo says original price $350 or so and the other cab orig. price 300. both now $99. experience says to opt for the one with the neo speaker. the acoustic b115 is selling at GC for $130 and it has a "heavy duty speaker." the other acoustic 15in cab has a neo and it's selling for $400. what's the big deal? different magnets? quality of speaker? on both brands, i'm wondering about the quality of cab construction which to me is very important. i know at that price they arent build to last a millenium and i'm sure the're not hand selected birch or koa wood ply. and then there's peavey. . .

14. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Kustom makes the Acoustic line for Guitar Center. They are blowing them both out and I would guess use same speakers. I think if I read correctly they use Birch. I am not sure how many layers or if the cab is braced at all. The NEO is 38 lbs.

15. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    i googles both companies and i saw nothing to lead me to think that kustom and acoustic were in league together. if so, cool. so i guess i'll take the plunge. two to choose from: kustom defender 115 with neo speaker, was $299, now $99. or the deep end 115, was $349, now $99. why is the one with the neo speaker priced lower than the other one with some regular 15in driver? what's the advantage of neodynium speakers?

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    neos are super light, if you are pushing 40 like me that's a big advantage

17. Mschiff

Mschiff

Jul 22, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    just a weight thing?
    i just called my local guitar center. ofcourse they dont have any of these cabs in the store. I asked a guy if kustom made acoustic for GC and he said no.

18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    if you are a purist vintage guy i guess you would want ceramics

19. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    He probably doesn't know that Kustom makes Acoustic for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same amp. Different case and relocated direct out.

20. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The NEO's are sold out.