2, 1x12 cabs or 1, 2x12 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i have my choices narrowed down to a 2x10 avatar on top of either a 2x12 cab or 2 seperate 1x12 cabs. the 1x12 setup would obviously be more portable. i play in a loud rock band and a church band so i could just grab a 12 when i play in the church band. are there any other avantages to having seperate 1x12 cabs? ive heard that speakers benefit when stacked single file vertically. is this true?
  2. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    You are going to run into ohm problems with 3 cabients.

Unless you get your 2x10 at 4 ohm, your 2 1x12s at 8 ohm. runt he 1x12s in parallel (giving you 4 ohm) then that in series with the 2x10 to ive you 8ohm.

If you got all 4ohm. Run two in parallel, one in series, you will get something like 5.something ohms.
  3. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    i plan on getting a GBE 600 which operates at 2 ohms. :cool: so i could get 2, 8ohm cabs and a 4 ohm cab which would equal 2 ohms i believe.
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Yeah, I think you'll have to daisy chain the 8 ohm ones, right (I'm actually asking, because I may do the same thing)
  5. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
  6. if you can get that head, you can do it,

two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms

a 4 ohm cab=4 ohms

two 4ohm cabs equal 2ohms.

yes you can do it, but if you get a idfferent head get the 2x12.
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 600 can do 2 ohms so you'll be ok with 3 8 ohm cabs, or two 8 ohm cabs and a 4 ohm cab.

yes, stacking speakers vertically provides better dispersion and less "comb filtering" which gives you better sound.

my vote is generally for two 1x12 cabs, but it depends upon the cabinet design and manufacturer. some companies make their 2x12 sound almost exactly like two of their 1x12 cabs, others tend to take advantage of the larger cabinet space of the 2x12 and increase low end output, but this is almost always at the expense of some midrange (IME).

The ideal thing to do is to try both setups to see which one you like. keep in mind that of course the two 1x12 cabs will be more portable (although more expensive). Also, the apparent low end of two 1x12 cabs will increase compared to that of a 1x12 cab on its own. It may not equal that of a 2x12 cab fior reasons stated above, but it is something to consider.

oh yeah, depending upon how ma y speaker outs the amp has you may have to "daisy chain" some of the cabs, which is fine. the outs on the amp are parallel outs, as are the input jacks on the cabs themselves, so it all ends up as parallel connections to all cabs in the end.
  8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's true. WAY more even dispersion.

9. Get 8 ohm cabinets like Ivan Mike says,that way you can use one 112 with the 210 and they will balance better than a 4 ohm 210 and a 8 ohm 112.I've used this same setup,two Avatar 112s only with an Eden 210,and honestly I only used all three cabinets at two or three outdoor shows.For me the 210 and one 112 or two 112s was always all I needed for the blues stuff we do.The only downside is more trips into the gig but with a cart you can do it in one and the cabs are all very light.
  10. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    The other thing to consider when mixing cabs is you will get different volumes from the different configurations... so. I WOULD definately want to "test drive" the stack first...
  11. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    ive never owned more then one cab at at time so i have a question regarding multiple cabs. lets say i have a 4 ohm cab and an 8 ohm cab running off the same amp. this will be about 2.6 ohms total. will the 4 ohm cab draw more power then the 8 ohm cab? or will the power be distributed equally?