Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 2-10 VS. 1 4-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I have space issues so I am need small cabs. I was thinking about two Goliath Jr. II cabs with my SWR SM-900. Would these sound as good if not better than 1 Goliath II 4-10? I am talking about the Goliath II not the III.

Thanks

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've never A/B'd SWR 4x10 vs 2x2x10, but I ran an SWR 2x2x10 stack for awhile and liked it. The only reason I sold 'em was that I traded up to a significantly more expensive brand.

Anyway, the 4x10 might have a smidge more bottom, and the 2x2x10 might be a bit brighter due to having two tweeters. But really, the similarities will be far greater than the differences: you'll get about the same tone from each. I agree that 2x2x10 is more convenient than 4x10, so I say go for it.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just a reminder the goliath II Jr's are 4 ohm cabs. I don't know anything about the SWR SM-900 Just make sure the amp can handle two 4 ohm loads or one 2 ohm load. I briefly tried two Goliath II Jr's together and think they sounded great. Don't think you will be hurting for low end at all. I recently sold one of my Jr's just because I prefer my Bag End 15 set up. Apples and Oranges thing you know. I still have one Goliath II Jr. and would recommend that cab to anyone wanting a lightweight 210 cab with good low end. I'll probably hold on to it until I can afford a Bag End 210.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Try stacking the pair vertically on their ends. It would put some speakers closer to your ears and some closer to the floor for enhancing the low end.

5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    CB56,

Would you trade that Goliath Jr II for another Bag End S-15D? They only made the Goliath Jr. II in 4 ohm? I guess I could run one a side?

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah I saw your ad flatbass and it's real tempting. Give me a day to think about it.That's how I ran my two Goliath II Jr's with my B4r. one on each side of the power amp at 350 watts per cab/side. plenty loud.plenty low end.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent point! My cabs were Goliath Jr III, 8 ohms each (the Goliath Jr III's were offered in 4 and 8 ohm models).

8. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    CB56,

Well let me know bro. That might work out great for the both of us! My Bag End S-15D is in excellent condition. How about your SWR Goliath Jr.II? Are you the original owner? Can you give me the exact dimensions on it? I am game if you are. I pay shipping to you and you to me. I hate to ask this because I have no way to do it myself but is there anyway you can send me a pic of it?

Thanks,
    Flat

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'll probably kick myself later but I think I'll hang on to the SWR. Now if you were offering a Bag End 210 cab I'd jump on that.

10. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    cb,

you sure bro? Well if you change your mind let me know OK.

Thanks