1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(2) 2x10 cabs VS (1) 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassmunnky, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Can ya help me?

I'm looking for opinions (from experience) or links to discussions with regards to pros or cons of Getting (2) 2x10 Cabs vs (1) 4x10...

I'm thinking, for small gigs, I'm humping my Amp head and a Neo 2x10 cab...bigger gigs, I bring both 2x10 cabs, getting the full 500 watts out of the amp and plenty of Volume. My only concern, cuz, I just don't know, if there is LESS bass response with stacked 2x10 cabs, instead of the bigger 4x10..

Let me know and thanks..

m

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I posted this same question a copuple months ago, and I got a lot of responses saying that a pair od 210's should give you bigger bass than a single 410 because their total volume combined is more than the 410. But using a single 210 may not cut it...even for a smaller gig.
    Now I haven't tried a pair of 210's, I wound up getting an olf Goliath II on Craigs list and have been playing with that. I won't go into the details of it because I don't want to hijack and change the subject...

You'd have to get a pair of 210s that are very well made. And form what I hear, the B210 Neos are where it's at...2nd to the Eden 210XLT...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459202&highlight=2x10+4x10

3. Somewhere on this site Bill Fitzmaurice stated that 2 2x10's will generally have more internal volume than a single 410 of the same brand. I dunno. I bought 2 2x10's because it was an easier haul.

Mike

4. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    Thanks..that's a start!

5. I haven't found a general rule on this. It all depends on how the 210 is designed versus the 410 within the line. Some 2 x 210's are bassier (like Epifani), while some seem to have significantly less ooomph than the 410 (like the SWR Goliath 2 x 210 vs. 410).

If you have the money, I've found the best combination is to find a small cab that you really like for smaller gigs, and a big cab you really like for the bigger gigs, versus trying to do everything with 2 x 210.

6. bump for more insight....

7. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    we tried EBS neos, a 410 side-by side with two 210 stacked.
    the 410 had slightly MORE bass, as all its woofers were closer to ground (I think that's the reason, but the effect wasn't VERY significant).
    I don't know.
    I agree, that the perfect solution is to have a 410 and (let's say) a 210, or something similar.
    because the 410 is lighter, and easier to move than two 210, and it's even cheaper... okay that doesn't matter, if you need a second cab too..
    the really scalable rig: 3x1x12 :-D
    2x12 is nearly as loud az a 410, 3x12 is even louder... if similar drivers/construction used, of course :)
    oh sorry, that was off-topic ;-)

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The 4x10" probably didn't have more bass but you could hear less of the mids and treble due to its woofers being further off-axis from your ears, which you perceived as more bass.

Alex

9. I went from a very nice Avatar Neo 410 to 2 very nice Avatar neo 210's. I like the sound even better and the flexibility is the bomb.

If you want some shattering results stack them ontop of each other. Eeee doggies it is nice. I play a 5 string through an Acoustic 200h. Great all around AND for small gigs and rehersal I just use 1 cab. still strong enough to hold the low B.

My 2 cents.

CP

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    vertical stack, yes sir!
    there's reason enuf!

11. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    +1. Vertical stack ftw.

2875011661_b60b2b96ac_b.

--Bomb :bassist:

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    According to Bill FitzMaurice, vertically stacking two 2x10 would get the best sound out of the cabs.

How about two 2x12?

13. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    +1 over here

14. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I'm with KJung on this one. I have a 2X10 for the smaller stuff and a 4X10 for larger stuff. And if I really need it I can use both for a 6X10 setup.

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Exactly what I'm doing, but I'm running my 2 4ohm b210's at 2ohm through a NeoPak.

Lovin' it. Tight, punchy, loud. However, people who are looking for earth pummeling bowel inducing low end probably shouldn't look toward 2 2x10's... most of those people report quickly 'oh my god why are my 2x10's farting out... I only have my low end cranked to 9 1/2 of 10.'

Just all depends what you want, what you need, and how hard you're going to abuse it.

Side Note: Dave at Avatar was nice enough to mail me 2 new Avatar emblems so when stacked vertically my logos are correct.

16. I ONLY EVER use a pair of 2x10s (Acme B2) stacked vertically and I don't think you could ever need more bass than what they deliver. I have used just the one cabinet on some small gigs or at rehearsal but as two have the same footprint as one I just use a pair.

Paul

17. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    Great Answers here.

I'm not looking for GUT busting bass, as 99.9% of the time I'm going through the house PA too.
    I've been using a Peavey BAM for ages, but garsh that sucker is heavy. I got a Peavey ProBass 500 off the Bay and it runs 500 watts at 2ohms. I love the Avatar stuff..so I'm debating about the two cabs, cuz I just don't want to do heavy anymore.

So it's either 2 2x10s or 1 2x10 and 1 1x12...Gonna jump soon..Thanks very much for all of the input

18. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

As long as they're inline like the 10s, yes. But many 2x12s are arranged diagonally in the cabinet. Stacking them doesn't improve things, because there's still no way to align the drivers.

19. so stacking 2 2x10's on theirs sides equals better tone as opposed to just stacking them regularly?

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo