2-2x10 or 1-4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grindmore, Jul 12, 2002.

1. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    ok,i have an ampeg B2R and i play in a grind/noise band and a rock band. i will be playing medium to small venues and also lofts, art spaces and rooftops. i live in the city and dont have alot of space or transportation options. i was thinking of buying an avatar cab. should i get 2-2x10's at 8 ohms or 1-4x10 at 4ohms. both of which will equal my maxium 350 watts. anyone use 2-2x10's? any other suggestions? thanks.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno you could get more of a stereo setup with 2 2x10's, but then yoiu have to deal with 2 horns. Personally id probably go with 2 2x10's. Now i run a 4x10 and a 2x10 and i like the portability and volume from the 2x10 better for the most part.
  3. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Get a 2x10 and 1x15 from Avatar instead. From what I've heard the two together sound great.
  4. I don't see the point in getting two 2x10. I say buy a 1x15 if you want a 2x10 with it as another cab like ndjx said.
  5. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Funny, I went through a similar choice earlier this year.

I was going to order a single Acme Low B-4... until I hauled my old amp, which is about the same size and weight as a Low B-4, up a flight of stairs. I decided I'd rather haul two light compact cabs than one big heavy one, so I ordered a pair of Low B-2s instead. And I haven't regretted it.
  6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've used a Carvin 210 + 15 for larger gigs and just the 210 for smaller gigs. It's seemed like the 210 has come up short on its own, since I rarely get to go through the PA (we're a blues band).

Just started using a Goliath II...it sure filled out the sound better than just the single 210...but way heavier and harder to move around. I'm hoping it'll be worth it in the long run...just play 2 or 3 gigs per month.

7. ...weight and size make a big difference.

I had the choice of going with the B410 or the B210 after getting the B115 from Avatar. The $50 price difference wasn't the significant item in my decision; it was 79 pounds for the B410 versus 50 pounds for the B210. I have to load out my gear every night; I no longer have the option of just pulling my minivan into a garage and taking care of that when I'm rested. I also found that I can stack the 2 cabs in the rear of my Voyager, and I don't have to remove the rear seat; I just have to slide it forward and tilt the seat back a bit. MAJOR difference in convenience. The sound is great with the two cabs together. The B410 would push more air, but it's not that inconvenient to take both cabs on more gigs and rehearsals with the B210 + B115 setup.

8. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    the reason i am asking is a cant take up much more space than the 1-4x10. a 1x15 and a 2x10 are pushing it. we live and gig in nyc and dont have many options when it come to getting to gigs (i got a roommate with a jeep, and i friend with a truck.) the reason i was think about 2-2x10 was that i could rock just one or borrow a larger 8 ohm to go with it at shows. but if 1-4x10 at 4ohms will be louf enough i think it would be best.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i've been using a dual 1x12 setup, and its been pretty good to me considering my NYC gigs. my Aggie, Bergie combo is more than enough volume for me. some might tell you otherwise, but a pair of 1x12's will hammer out as much volume as a 4x10. but that's just MHO.

have you tried this setup? take a trip out to Rudy's and have Scott hook your amp thru their dual Bergie setup, and see for yourself. plenty of bottom, good cut, tho with EQ can make it better, and most of all, lightweight.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My perspective isn't about weight.

I like two - 2X10's better because if one of the 4 speakers in a two - 2x10 configuration craps out, you you just disconnect the cab with the blown 10". You still have the other 2x10 to use.

If one of the 10's craps out in a single 4x10, you lose all of your 10's for that night......unless your audience likes the sound of a blown speaker.
  11. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    A couple of weeks ago, I got two Aguilar GS 210's.
    I run them stereo with an Alembic F2-B and an EBS UniChorus, and it sounds heavenly!
    For many years I'd been using two 1x15's (EV TL-606's) and while I've always been fairly satisfied with the sound, I always felt that it was kindof loose and could use some tightening up. The 2x10's were a great choice, IMO.
    If I weren't using them in stereo this way, I might have gone for a 2x10/1x15 setup (but maybe not, these dual 2x10's are mighty nice!).
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you obviously havent loaded and unloaded from a cab in the middle of 8th ave. traffic... ;)
  13. ...nor pulled an Acoustic 18" combo on a luggage carrier onto the escalator at the Church Street station of the # 2 train, to play at Harry's in the Woolworth building.

Working in Manhattan sucked.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You obviously didn't notice I reco'd the lighter of the options :D

......but my main main concern wasn't weight - the concern was being able to continue playing in case a speaker/cab goes down.

Plus, many of us just don't need to lunk a 4x10 with us for every situation.