1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 4-ohm loads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Apr 17, 2009.

1. I'm thinking of hooking up 2 4-ohm buttkicker shakers (essentially the same as speakers), running them off my 4-ohm bass amp. Is there a way to wire 2 4-ohm loads into a 4-ohm amp?

2. wire them in series and you will raise your ohm load to 8 instead of dividing it.

3. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Nope.

2 X 4 ohm in Parallel = 2 Ohm load
    2X 4 ohm in Series = 8 Ohm load

4. so, to be safe, I should do the 8-ohm load, though that lessens my output/watts, correct?

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Yes, assuming that the amp in question has a typical SS power section.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Why would you want to add devices aimed at vibrating solid objects to a bass amp? They are designed to convert an audio signal into vibration. A speaker converts that signal to acoustic energy - sound waves.

Paul

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just be aware that connecting head to cab to cab is NOT putting them in series.

8. good question. I'm using Aviom plus IEM's. The amp I have available would be my bass rig, that's now not used. I'm wanting to use 1 buttkicker for me, on a platform, and one for the drummer. An amp is an amp, correct?

The set up is Aviom -> headphone out, splitter, one to IEMs and one side to low-pass filter to amp to drive buttkickers. I have 250 watts into 4-ohms in this SS amp. Each buttkicker module is 4-ohms.

Mark

9. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sorry Mark, I just don't see the point of this exercise! I've used IEMs and I see no use for Buttkickers.

Paul

10. good for you, Paul. But arguing the "need" of a buttkicker is not the point of my thread, is it? Plenty of people use it with IEM, it's not an idea I made up.

Now, if you'd like to weigh in on topic, I'm all ears.

11. The only way to get the 4 ohm load (with more than one unit) is use 4 units. Pairs wired in series, then the two pairs wired in parallel.

12. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I was looking for information on the why. I f you don't wish to take the time to impart that information that's fine. A sarky response don't cut it so I'll just butt out and keep my information to myself.

Paul

13. Paul:

If you were looking for information I'd suggest asking a question, instead of shooting down my idea with "I've used IEMs and see no use for btkkrs", and other remarks of "seeing no point",which is a bit "snarky", as you say. Just because you've played bass for 47 years doesn't make you that much of an expert - Jaco played for far fewer years than that.

I think then that your question would have been "why do you want to use a btkkr with IEMs?". To which I'd reply, as many in my situation do (again, I didn't make up this method of monitoring), that having had subs directly under my feet/stage in the past, I found that I really didn't even need audio to monitor my playing and the drums, the vibrations and sense of feel they gave did this perfectly. Also, even the best IEM's don't give much oomph in the lower bass range, but they're great for isolation of high stage volume and for monitoring vocals and other instruments.

How's that, now this thread is completely off topic?

14. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    knife49.

15. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

And Jaco was an expert at what, besides the fact that he could play?

Just pointing out the irrelevance of the Jaco thing.

16. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Indeed! Now that you have answered my oblique question I'll give you what I know from my electrical engineering side.

Your amp will drive one 4Ω BK. What is the wattage rating of the BK?

You have a 2Ω load driving a pair in parallel and 8Ω in series.

If you use the series connection (amp hot -> BK1+, BK1(-) -> BK2+, BK2(-) -> amp cold) you'll get maybe 150W into the BKs for 75W each.

Using the parallel connection you will need a matching transformer, rated at at least 250W, connected so that the BKs see 2Ω but the amp sees 4Ω. This will get you your maximum power of 250W and each BK will get 125W. Such transformers are fairly hard to find but are available. Do not be confused by the tiny transformers sold at Parts Express and the like. They are way too small to handle the duties.

IMO the easiest way to go is to get a stereo power amp and drive each BK from one channel. Run the amp in parallel (both channels being fed the same signal) and supply it from the sub output of your PA.

Good luck with your endevour.

Paul

17. thanks, Paul, and others - this is the info that I failed to find google searching on my own.

My amp actually has two speaker outputs each marked 4-ohm, so I think it's 2 speaker outputs are internally wired in series, or is it parallel? 250 watts total output at 4-ohms. It's a Eden Nemesis, don't remember the model.

the buttkicker shakers I'm looking at are 4-ohm, and indicate 50-200 watts each. If I can only do one, the drummer will have to fend for himself (!).

with the recent investments of the Aviom and some decent IEMS, and now the buttkicker, I'm trying to not have to buy another amp.

18. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Most amps speaker jacks are wired in parallel though some combos do wire them in series to prevent going below minimum impedance. Check your manual. Making up a series box is a simple thing to do so you could consider that. At around 75-80W you will be above the minimum power for the BKs. That could be enough for your purposes.

Paul

19. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009
    Good points Marc.... I've noticed when playing bass I always enjoy the thump much more when sitting on the amp. My guess is the butt kickers do pretty much the same thing. Even now although I get compliments on my rig, volume and thunder it's just not the same to me when I step off the stage and stand up instead of sitting on a stool just inches from the amplifier. I can definately see why you would do this.

20. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Errrrr, I didn't even want to get involved here as this seems to be a hostile environment. But Mark you are looking at the wrong product for your project.

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicians/index.htm

You are looking obviously at the little tiny home theater unit and you need the Buttkicker Concerts. Those are needed to provide the kick in the pants you are looking for as a monitoring system. They are also 2 OHMS already. You will need some serious power to kick those buggers.

The Buttkicker Concert MINI is the unit you probably really want and is also 2 OHMS. It takes 250Watts also and is a single chair unit. You could wire those in series to get 4 Ohms.

I already have a buttkicker equivalent wired up here. My big rig shakes EVERYTHING and the air movement looks like those old memorex commercials where everything including the dog is blowing by the guy in the chair....

You know why the ROLLING STONES use butt kickers right? Because they are all deaf now from old age.

BOB