2-4x10s plus a 2x10 for distortion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Hows this?

I've decided I've gotta have an 8x10 stack behind me for that powerful feeling....that is what I have.

I'm think'n I wanna retain the undisturbed clean tone thru the stack and run a PSA-1 thru a 2x10 on top,I'll cut the lows thru the 210.

Basically a biamp/crossover sort of setup.

I'm kinda sick of running overdrive/distortion units thru the stack,messing up the fundamental and having less than satisfactory basic tone just for a bit of dirt or searing raw.This setup should solve everthing,right?

And with the lows cut on the tops,the 210 should keep up with the stack-volume and projection wise.

Any thoughts on this?

thankya much:)
  2. O yeah.....another reason I wanna do this,I could run my 4003 in stereo thru it:cool:
  3. What I think you need is: an effect that blends wet and dry signals, so you still hear your original signal.

My hartke 3500 has an effectloop which you can blend, and some effect units have it too.
  4. I use a Boss Line Selector pedal to blend clean and distorsion signals. Just put your distorsion pedal in the first loop in the pedal and blend with the pots. It works really great!!!
  5. At a distance the rig you propose should sound great, but, standing right in front of it with the 2x10 right behind you head is going to create a lot of seperation between distortion and clean. You will probably end up using a lot less distortion than you really want. But, you won't really know until you try it. Good Luck
  6. jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    How do you plan to get the distorted signal to the PA?
  7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm a biamper... I run my crossover at 190 hz, and sometimes I'll put a distortion pedal after the crossover before it goes into my 2x10. This leaves the 1x18 pumping out pure bottom. It's a pretty cool rig. To get this through the PA, I do a direct line and mic up the 2x10 seperately. I've only done this 2 times at shows, it's kind of a hassle.
  8. you should get a small G**tar combo amp and use an a+b box to [foot]switch it on. then you can have a searing or smoldering distortion (or overdrive if thats all you want) without harming your normal tone.

you can find a small tube amp cheap, a solid state cheaper. you can take it if you need, and its totally self-contained.
  9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i think your plan sounds fine, but the hassle of getting both mixes to the PA is a concern, i guess just mic both or line out one or both or whatever.

the bass player for godsmack uses a similar setup but way more 10s.

4 stacks of 2 4x10s with a 2x10 on top (all SWR) just for clean, and one similar stack with distotion which is mic'ed to the PA
  10. cheers,

I don't normaly run to the PA because my rig is loud enough stand alone.

I'll have to think about all the options you've given me.

I already own a PSA-1 so that seemed like a good idea to hook that to a poweramp.But a combo would be alot more convenient.