Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 4x10's vs. 2 1x15's.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Jun 25, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

my current setup: fender p-bass w/ DR hi-beams played w/ a brass pick-->traynor ts50b-->qsc rmx 1450-->2 ampeg 4x10 he's.

my sound: bright, overdriven and "clangy," but still having some bass and mid presence.

here's my dilemma: i'm tired of moving heavy 4x10's that i never liked the sound of much anyways. i have the chance to unload them and snatch up some avatars 1x15's. should i do it?

i've come to realize that all my bass heros used 15" speaker cabinets. plus i never liked horn tweeters. why have something i don't use at all?

the 4x10's rate at 500w each. the 1x15's rate at 600w each. and course there's a 16lb difference between the 4x10's and 1x15's.

will i be able to keep my sound fairly balanced as far as bass/treble/mids? my amp isn't very flexible, but i do love the tone of it. will i lose all my definition with the 1x15's or not?

please weigh in with your opinions.

2. i first used a 4x10, then moved to 2 1x15s now i sold one 15 cab built a 2x15 cab and use that as my main cab, use the single 15 cab for practices and stuff. its sounds great. i have highs that can split your eardrum in two and pelt your brain with needles, i dont get when people diss 15''s speakers highend capability. 2 4x10s would be much louder i think.

3. well, true, a 4x10 will bring out a more massive sound, but it's only because of the fact there are four speakers. honestly though, I stay completely loyal to 15s. they seem to bring out the best of the bass and the high mids, and they never really seem too harsh. It's also not as hard as people make it seem to get a good trebly sound out of 15s. I have a TKO65, and that thing brings out a great clear sound. I say just get a whole bunch of fifteens and hook them up

4. well im not against 15" but i wouldnt use 2, i was at a gig the other night where he was using a peavey mark4, a rick 4001 and a 2x15" and, well it souded horrible, there was no high end to speak of..it just sounded like someone talking underwater...personally i love the sound you get from 10"...im buying a SWR goliath III eventually and that single cab will do me until i either another or some sort of 15", most likely SWR, Why not use both? or use a Hartke cab with the aluminum cones, to me they sound like a brighter 15" and would probably sound good alone instead of using the 4x10 and 15"

5. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

yeah, i hate moving my cabs. 91lbs/cab is just too much for me. so that's one reason i'm leaning towards that avatar 1x15's.

anyone else have an opinion?

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I have 2 15" avatar speakers and use a QSC 1850 power amp, sounds great! I get compliments all the time on my tone and I really like the 15's punch in the chest. I don't really have much of a problem with lack of highs, I think it all depends on how you EQ your system anyway.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have 2 4x10's. I love the sound, even though they weigh 92lbs. apiece! :eek:

8. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I would run both-
    a 4x10 cab and a 1x15
    or
    a 2x10 cab and a 1x15
    Why not???

Personally, I'm currently running a single 2x10 SWR Goliath Jr.III but plan on adding the 1x15 SOB soon. It'll be a light and compact setup overall. :)

9. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I prefer 15s but you will lose a fair amount of volume. 2 15" speakers is only a little more speaker area than 4 10" speakers.

A = pi(R^2)

1x15"
    A = 3.14(7.5^2)
    A = 176.625 in^2

1x10"
    A = 3.14(5^2)
    A = 78.5 in^2

2x15" = 353.25 in^2
    4x10" = 314 in^2

So going from 628in^2 with 8x10" to 353in^2 of a 2x15" you will be losing volume.

In anycase, I prefer the sound of my 2x15" to most of the 4x10"s i've played through.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Four words: Tone Sucking Muff Monsters.

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I prefer 15's also. I run a 2x15 cab with 350 watts and it has plenty of volume and good high frequency response. Yea, its weight is right at 100lbs but I move only one cab!

12. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK

Ahhhhhhhhhhh where??!!!! MUFF MONSTERS NO!!!!!!

(My posts point > Munjis posts point)

13. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    ^^^^ :p

Why not run a 410 and a 115. That way you could bring 115 if you don't feel like hauling a 410 around, but you could always combine the two cabs. From how you described your tone, I would say stick with 10s, but maybe you will like your tone more through 15s. I use a 215 and love it. :bassist:

14. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    You should try the new bergantino nv425. Its a sealed cab with no tweeter, 15" and three 10" speakers. It is about 90lbs but I think its a lot easier to move than a 410 and its all one cab. The nv cabs are tall and thin, they fit nice on a stage. To me it sounds like the nv610 but with a bigger bottom end but its still tight and the highs are great without the "clicky" sound. As far as being balanced, when you listen to it, you cant tell where the sound is comming from. It blends very nice and I dont think you will loose any definition. It does a great OD tone as well if thats your thing. I think its about $900 and I think its a 800watt 4ohm cab.

15. Artisan

Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I like 15's, 12's, 10's, 8's and 18's. I haven't owned a 21" speaker yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Like most everyone, I do not enjoy lifting lots of weight, but I do love a massive sound, when the occasion calls for it. The Madison MAB183 is an exceptional enclosure in that it is really small and lightweight (67 lbs.) for its acoustic output and its ability to handle 500 watts RMS of bass power. It also is fitted with a tweeter and a rheostat for varying the blend.

A 2x10" speaker enclosure sitting on top of the MAB183 would pretty much give a bassist the ability to handle any style of music. From power rock to jazz to country. Small venue gigs would only require the MAB183. This enclosure is lighter than many 4x10" enclosures.

It comes with casters and will fit in the average small car. Who could ask for more?

Two 4x10" enclosures would not come close to producing the bottom end that this enclosure is capable of reproducing. Think in terms of total area AND cone excursion. That is where an 18" speaker shines. We are interested in the volume of air being moved, not just the square inches of speaker cone available.

By the way, the MAB183 is NOT a subwoofer. It is designed to be strong in a bass guitar's midrange. It will go low, but you have to give it some extra EQ to get there. This is a modern bass enclosure and was designed with modern bass styles in mind. There is nothing "slow" about this snappy speaker system.

16. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I have 2 small Genz Benz boxes loaded with EVM 15s. No tweets. Yeah, they don't do slappy-poppy too well, but they are very punchy and can slam pretty nicely.

Unfortunately, GB doesn't make 'em any more, but I'm sure that there are other great choices.

I think 15s (and 12s) hold a better space in the overall mix. You aren't competing with guitars and keys in that upper-mid frequency area. I never worry about getting lost out there.

I also use tube amps. So I guess that makes me an old fart. So be it. My rig sounds GREAT!!! And I love the portability. Even my singers help me load in. Try that with a big box!