Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Spearhead, Apr 2, 2001.

1. I am confused. I know my scales and modes down pat and I can read music pretty well and Im trying to get deep into theory. Whenever I try, This 2-5-1 stuff comes up and I dont know what its refering to. What the hell is it, is it refering to modes, positions, what?
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Chord changes. 2 (or ii) being the chord (or mode) built from the second position of the scale. 5 (or V) being the chord (or mode) built from the dominant position. 1 (or I) being the chord (or mode) built from the root. So if the key is C Major, and someone says that the head is a ii-V-I, your changes are: Dmin7 - G7 - CMaj7. (Notice how nice that G7 resolves to the CMaj7?!)
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks like we posted at the same time Ed. Oops.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dang it, I was busy posting to the mode question and you two beat me to this one! :p :D

Spearhead, they nailed it, perfect explainations.
  5. isn't this used now and then in jazz? hehe I just remembered my teacher showing me this progression too! :)
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Understatement of the year! :D
  7. I made it an understatement so if I was wrong.. I would sound too dumb :D hehehe

is it as popular as the I,IV,V of blues?
  8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I had a teacher who said "the whole world is ii-V7's"
  9. hehe, then he went to a music store and listened to other music and felt dumb! ;) :D
  10. Thanks a lot. I have one more question though. How do I integrate these chord progressions in my music, or a better question would be how do I develop on them? Do I just use the root scale? also, generally how many real chord progressions are there and should I always stick to them?
  11. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Carol Kaye does a great job of explaining this in her video and book that accompanies it. If you take every chord in a particular scale and analyze the notes in the chords, there are really only three chords in the scale. This is because the notes in many of the chords are the same. The only chords are the 1, 2, and 5. The 2 chord is the same as the 4 chord so a 1, 4, 5 is equivalent to a 1, 2, 5. A 1, 4, 5 is just as common as a 2, 5, 1.