Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2.6 ohms??? huh?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I am buying an swr 750 head, and from what I have read, SWR claims it to be 850 watts at 2.6 ohms. My question is, how does one acquire the 2.6 ohms? 2-4 ohm cabs would give you a flat 2 ohms correct? Is this their way of saying "try 2 ohms if you want, but if it blows....we technically said 2.6"? The reason I am asking, I am getting a Goliath Sr. 6x10 cabinet with the rig, and currently own a Henry the 8x8. I would like the ability to run both cabinets off the head, but don't want to hurt the amp. I am thinking running the Senior off of the 750 head, and then run the pre-amp out to a separate power amp to juice the Henry. Anybody have any suggestions? I know this sounds like a lot, but my band has the worlds loudest drummer, and the 2 loudest Marshalls ever built....at least it sounds like it to me! Thanks in advance!

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    By the way, both the Henry and the Senior are 4 ohm cabs.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    running at 2 ohms will damage the head. 2.6 ohms would be 1-4 ohm and 1-8 ohm cabinet. i think that should be enough to cover the marshalls and the drums... try 212, another 410, 115,or a 118 with either cab and that should cover it between the power, headroom, and air moved...

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you run an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm together, you get 2.66 ohms. That's probably where they got it from.

I wouldn't run both cabs off the head if I were you. That's a 2 ohm load, and there's probably a good reason why SWR said 2.6 rather than 2. I'd get a 2nd amp.

5. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I agree, don't run it at two ohms. My brother found out the hard way. I warned him! (took six weeks for parts)