2.7LBS Hollow Jazz body??? anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 11, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This is pretty cool. You can get a hollow J bass body from Warmoth that weighs approximately 2.7lbs. This is achieved by using swamp ash and then spec’ing extra light. Quote...We have a light swamp ash body which weighs 4.7 lbs. Take off at least 1.5 to 2 pounds for hollowing.

Anyone have any experience with these?

here is some of my correspondence with Warmoth:

Wow 2.7lbs of bass body.. thats light. My concern at that point would be neck dive. Also, would these light bodies affect the tone in a negative way?

***The attack and transient response would be rounded and mellowed somewhat. They don’t have as much of a “piano bass” ring and attack, but it kind of depends on what type of tone and response you’re after.

I guess what I am after is a very light p-bass body. Perhaps the "extra light swamp ash" body would be best. So if the basswood is close to sub four pounds does that mean the extra light swamp ash would be about 3lbs? What process occurs to make the extra light swamp ash extra light?

***The shop crew picks through the available body blanks by weight, picking out a piece(s) of wood which will qualify for “light weight”, and then carves a body from that blank. It is unknowable until the body is actually shaped what the precise weight will be, since the weight process is based on the full slab of wood the body is carved out of.

Is the appearance changed compared to a regular p-bass?

***From the outside, it simply looks like a piece of wood.

2. whoa, that is crazy. but i can't see how it wouldn't have any neck dive.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Got to love the chambering. :hyper:
  4. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    yep, sounds like a neck diver to me.
  5. Do either of you find it the least bit strange that Warmoth would choose to offer a product in their line of stellar items that would have a fatal flaw like that? These guys R&D till the cows come home - they aren't in this for the quick buck and if there was neck dive, it would have been remedied before the item was offered for sale.

I built my first chambered Jazz body better than 3 years ago. Total weight was less than 3.5 lbs I think. I'm refinishing it now so I'll have to go weigh it out and make sure but the total decked out was under 8 even with heavy tuners and a heavy bridge. No neck dive at all.

Stop the armchair luthiering and either buy one or build one for yourself to see. :rolleyes:
  6. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Just a quick clarification - hollowing a body reduces the weight by a percentage, not a fixed amount.

Hollowing an extra-light piece of swamp ash will result in a smaller weight reduction than hollowing a piece of extra-heavy hard ash, if that makes sense. In other words, hollowing an already heavy body might save 1.5 lbs, but hollowing an already light body might save only .5 lbs, because the wood that's being removed weighs less.

I'd be very surprised if you could get a hollow J body under three pounds. As for the tone, I'd agree with our sales staff.

Hope this helps!
  7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I've got a Warmoth Jazz body that came in at 3.4 lbs. The finished bass is not a neck diver at just over 6 lbs but I used a fir neck which is much lighter than a maple one and used Hipshot Ultralites. No neck dive with that one. It can be done.
  8. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    Yes, light tuners are recommended for an extra-light bass body.

We actually could have made hollow bass bodies a long time ago, but we didn't start offering them until we could also offer lightweight tuner options to match.
  9. I checked my body and I was off by a good amount. Mine is hollow in halves with a fair amount of contouring and a solid center section and it weighs in at 3 lbs. 15 oz. It's been refinished with 3 coats of clear poly if that accounts for anything :D
  10. No wonder it's so light. Look at how small it is! :D

- Dave

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It would be great if the other body designs had this as an option.