1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2-8 ohm switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimiLL, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Im about to pick up a SWR Goliath III in 8hm, and I know for sure im going to at least wire it down to 2 ohms..

Does anyone know a way for wiring in a switch to go either 2 or 8 ohms??

Thanks

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Its magic!

3. 2 ohms = amplifier abuse, but if you want it done, wire two circuits to a board with an a-b switch.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You know you're a bass player when you have this uncontrollable urge to squeeze out every single watt you can from your amplifier in hopes that it gives you an incredible SPL DB advantage over anybody else in the room.

You know you've reached this goal when you're constantly being told to turn down.

Watts mean Squat - SPL is what matters. Get ready to measure because 8 to 2 ohms in the same cabinet may be just barely a difference.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if you really want to rewire it, here you go (but if there's an actual crossover in it, rather than a just capacitor for the horn, its not going to work properly.

Attached Files:

6. Well the macho blow everyone out of the water approach isnt what Im looking or here..... I have a bigger rig for that. Its because the head Im going to pair with it (SWR BAss 350, 2 ohm stable) will make 450 watts at 2 ohms, and 240 at 8 ohms.

I beg to differ if anyone thinks a nearly doubling in power doesnt make a difference in percieved volume

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Remember to get a meaty switch - 450W@2Ω is 15 amps so you need to be looking for something comfortably above that (I'd double it) to avoid hassles.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nearly doubling the wattage, but through the exact same speaker cab. It *may* get louder, but I doubt it. Now, getting and using a 2nd identical cab with the same head, that would definately sound louder. It's all about the speakers.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Doubling power gets you 3db, assuming the speakers system can handle it and produce it. In this case, it probably can't but if you must have 2ohm (bad idea IMO), wire up the 410's all in parallel instead of series/parallel. The tweeter on there should be HPF only so shouldn't matter. May want to look at the circuit card behind the jacks and make sure there's a mainline that the 10's are fed off of that doesn't run through any of the parts. It must be the same as if you hooked the 10's up to a plain old jack and ignored the tweeter. Again, you won't be gaining much if anything by doing this other than a little knowledge. It may also end up costing you another amp but hey, when lessons come out of the wallet, they tend to stick.:)