Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 acme b2's vs. 1 acme b4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spudmonken, Nov 9, 2003.

1. I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to a/b these configurations. I just received my new b4 this week, and I must say that I'm completely floored by the sound of my b-string. So, i'm debating whether to get a pair of b2's or just get another b4 to go with the b4 I just got. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. I loved the sound of the B4 cabinets but my back loved the weight of the B2s so that's what I chose. I'm currently running four of the Low B2-IIs. There's a little more control over the midrange and highs due to the extra mid drivers and horns (which are adjustable as on your B4). Everything sounds exactly as it should. It's all there.

3. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Two B2s will give you two midrange drivers, which are important in the Acme cabs IMO

4. That's gotta sound insanely deep. How much power are you sending through this Rig of Death? What's the tone like? :D

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd go with a pair of B2s. They sound really good stacked vertically and having the smaller cabinets might come in handy for certain situations.

Be sure that you break in the woofers of your B4 carefully so that you don't end up creasing the cones by cranking up the cabinet before the woofer's suspensions loosen up a bit.

6. Actually, I was leaning towards 2-b2's when I started the post, but I just wanted everyone's opinion. As for breaking in the surrounds, I had Andy Lewis do it himself before he shipped it to me. That way I could hear this cabinet in all its glory right from the start.

7. Rig of Death? :cool:

I'm running an Aggie DB680 into a QSC PLX3002. My cabinets are all 4 Ohms so it's pushing 1500 per pair. As far as tone goes... it's truly unbelievable. The TBers who suggested that the magic Acme formula was 750 watts per B2 were bang on. The sound opens up beautifully... smooth, tight, articulate and well-balanced from the highest G (G string, 24th fret) right down to low B with my Wal fretless.

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Great cabinet, but cripes! Around here, if you are in a venue that can't be filled with a single B2, you'll have a PA that's big enough to carry the bass, negating the need for more than a single B2 (which is still enough to screw up the sound in the house if you open 'er up.)

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah!

since when did he start doing this?! man, i wish he told me that, when i bought mine. :(

oddio,

i think i'm startin' to understand what rumble in the north was coming from. ;)

10. Actually, I asked him to. It took an extra 2-3 days to get my cabinet, but it was well worth the wait. Joker, you've had both cabinets, what is your opinion on 2-b2's vs. 1-b4?

11. I was previously pushing one pair of B2s with a conservative 600 watts. They seemed to be lacking a bit, especially in the midrange. Something important to keep in mind: a power upgrade solved this. The more power you throw at the Acmes, the better they sound (within reason of course).

Jokerjkny, you folks in NY had better use your Acmes responsibly or you'll cause a shift in the tectonic plates. :D

12. Oddio,
    Was that 600 watts to the pair, or to each cabinet? I am currently using a Plx-3402, and was thinking of getting a pair of 8-ohm b2's. This would give me 550 watts to each running off one channel @ 4ohms total, or 700 watts to each if running two channels @ 8 ohms. Is this enough?

13. I was running 620 watts (EBS Fafner) into the pair of B2s at 2 ohms. Your 3402 will be more than enough running two channels at 8 ohms per side. Killer rig!

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow, i wish Andy mentioned that. would saved me alot of impatient waiting! :meh: but like you said, well worth the wait. ;)

at any rate, with my B-4, i couldnt be happier. i'm still in writing/rehearsal mode with my trip hop group, and each rehearsal is just incredible fun using it.

the lows are just monstrous, and clear. not muddy or indistinct, but focused, tight, punchie, and nothing pillowy about it. from my memory, literally dwarfs the B2 i owned.

i havent tried two B-2 cabs, but i feel like the pair would NOT have the B-4's more focused low end throw. i've heard many a pair of 2x10's vs. a single 4x10, and i'd bet the same applies to the Acme's.

BUT, the 2x10 pair also strangely has alot more cut for me, given the extra tweeters. in the Acme case, i'm sure the extra midrange driver would give you a more upfront sound as well.

and, you'd have the option of just taking one the cabs on a small gig.

i say, go for the B-2. gives you the most flexibility. just be sure you can send 500 watts to each, and you're golden.

15. I was talking with Andy over email about this very topic. His suggestion was that two B2s was inherently better than a B4. I have played a B4 and I loved the deep low end of the cabinet and the way it sounded (pretty transparent). Two B2s are definitely in my future. I can give them 500W a piece with my current rig, so that should be good to go.

Geoff

16. I just sold my old equipment and I'll be looking for something new,modern and extermely portable. Has any one tried 2 low b's [4 ohms each] with the Euphonic Audio iAmp 800? At 2 ohms the iAmp 800 has 1000 watts rms. That wiil give each cabinet 500 watts each. Any suggestion or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Coney Island Joe

17. That's what I plan to run, but I haven't tried this exact combo yet.

Geoff

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, that sounds intense! when you're ready, drop us locals the info to your next gig!

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The iAmp-800 has a lot of dynamic headroom, so it sould do fine with the Acme's (just be careful using that bass control when/if boosting the low end -- which they shouldn't need anyway).