Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Aguilar GS112's - need opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I am currently bidding on one GS112. My intention was to eventually get another one, and I found one on eBay that is a GC listing, so it's a little pricy, but still less than new.

Would 2 GS112's (both 8-ohm) sound killer? I'd be using either a GK 1001RB-II, an SVT Classic, or an SVT-3 Pro.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Skel

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I have heard many good things about that combination! Either one of the heads you mentioned should be a perfect match. What kind of music u play?

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I went to 12's for a while (had a GS212 and a GS112). LIke em, but I came back to 10's. Now I have a Aguilar S110 (musiciansfriend.com is blowing them out for $199 each!!!) and a Bergantino NV610. Long live 10's!!! The 12's were a bit mid-shy and a little slow. Other than that, they were nice. Great for classic rock and jazz...

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    3 piece, loud drums, "Marshally", original only. If ZZ Top colided with George Thoroughgood - that's what style we play.

Skel

5. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

Ok - what about a GS112 with an Avatar 2X10? I could do that.

Skel

6. The mids will open up when you really start to push these cabs. 2 can get VERY loud and still have great tone. IMO, they'll project your low end better throughout a room too. Not really a biggie if you have PA support. Overall great bang for the buck, as they say.

7. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I would think 2x12's would be perfect for the style of music you described. If you want more booty and more lows go for 2x12's. If you want a little more punch in your tone pair your 1x12 with 2x10's. Many would argue that 10's are punchier than 12's. I went from 10's to 12's and don't regret it a bit ..they are still very punchy and handle lows beautifully, better than the 10's...

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hey, thanks a lot guys, for the great info. I think I'll just stick to one GS112, try that with my Avatar 2X10, and go from there. I also love the sound of 10's, but I wouldn't mind having a little extra bottom.

Skel

9. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes,

Two GS112's do indeed sound killer. They sound especially good with my GK 700RBII.

But it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Good luck!

:D

Joe.

10. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    So- All your songs are in G?:p

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ha ha! Actually there are 2 or 3 in G for sure. We are really all over the key spectrum, though. And with my guitar player/singer/songwriter, if the key doesn't work...too bad - he won't transpose a song, period. I don't get it, but I can't write songs, so I go with it.

And no, my mind is not made up on the GS112 & Avatar 2X10 - I would really like to hear 2X12's, but with all the buying I'm doing right now, I better just slow down for a while. I can always bring my trusty SVT-410HLF, so I'm not worried, but I wanted to see for myself on these higher end cabs you guys are always talking about, like Bergantino, Aguilar, Bagend, Eden, etc.

Thanks - Skel

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I ran a 2x10 and 1x12 setup for a while. I REALLY loved it. It's a great way to go!

13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    That was served up on a silver platter, had to say it. Not so much ZZtop, but definitley Thoroughgood.

I've been using the Carvin BRX12 for about the last year now & this thing sounds killer. The cab has good detail & you'll be wondering if there's an 18" tucked in there somewhere. You won't be disappointed.

14. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Agreed with this statement. I used to have a pair of GS112's as well, but traded them for a GS410. I'm much more of a 10's guy. I would seroiusly look at the S410 and maybe an S210. At the prices they charge of musiciansfriend that will probably cost you the same as two gs112's. I as well have the Bergantino NV610. Great cab as well. I agree that the 12's were a bit mid-shy and a little slow. Great cab for the low end, but they dont punch through really well in the "rock setting". At least I don't thinik so.

For your type of music, the "3 piece, loud drums, "Marshally", original only. If ZZ Top colided with George Thoroughgood - that's what style we play."

It would probably be fine, but I felt like my GS112's started giving up in terms of volume if pushed to compete against Two Marshalls and a loud drummer. Maybe it would do better against one Marshall and a loud drummer but i'd rather be able to have a rig that's too loud and turn it down, than a rig that's not enough.

By the way...

I don't think they pair well with GK. I'm not the hugest fan of the GK amps, so keep that in mind, but I'd much rather grab for an Ampeg in terms of tone, however not in reliability. If you're going aguilar for cabs, why not spend the money and get an AG500 or AG500SC. There is one in the classified section right now. It pairs much better with the Aguilar GS112 than many other heads, at least in my opinion.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, I did notice the *#*$*$ unbelievable price on the 4X10 at MF, but I already have an SVT-410HLF. I assume the Aguilar just smokes it, though.

Skel

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, and even with my Avatar 2X10 (with the Delta whatevers in it) and my GK1001RB-II - I just have to turn up the bass a little, and scoop the mids, and with my Ric - it sounds full, thick, and spooky - like a Ric should.

Skel

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I was a "must have 10's in my rig" kind of guy before I tried the Aguilar GS112 cabs. I don't miss the tens a bit. My only complaint about the GS112's is that they sit real low and even with two of them they are below belt level. So hard to hear close up on stage but real loud out front. I fixed that problem by getting 3 of them:D
    BTW if you like Ampegs cabs, You'll love the Aguilars.

18. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I seem to be having a different experience than most in this thread.

I have a GS112 and all along had planned to go to a GS210/GS115 setup.

I think the GS112 is a very nice sounding cabinet but I never thought it was particularly loud or handled low E's very well and didn't like my five string at all.

I was torn between listening to many folks here and just getting another GS112 or even getting a GS212 instead of the GS115.

Well, my GS210 arrived last week and was stunned by it. It handled all of my basses botton to top with much more depth and articulation than the 112 and it it much louder. I really don't know whether to think my 112 has a problem or my hearing has gone south based on how you guys rave about a pair of 112's.

On the other hand, a 112 weighs 20 pounds less than a GS210 so moving a pair of 112's might be easier on the back.

So, the thought of a GS212 was tabled and I'm still on the 115 train.

However, if I wanted a nice, relatively small but powerfull rig that would fit into most any car, I would definately go for a pair of GS210's rather than a pair of GS112's.

I understand that a pair of 210's cost somewhat more than a pair of 112's but that's what I would do.

Right now I'm running the 210 and 112 together and it sounds very nice but it is still obvious that the 112 is struggling to keep up with the 210.

Of course this all may be moot since I haven't gigged with any of these cabs and I know things change in the mix.

So, YMMV and probably will!

19. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    If you really want to go all out, get two GS112's and then put a 4ohm avatar 210 on top. But looking up top that won't help since your the head's you listed all go down to only 4 ohms (I'm pretty sure).

Personally, 2 of the same cab paired togeather would have a better chance of complimenting eachother and sounding better than a sinlge 12' and a 2x10.

20. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

is that the 210, or is there a little aggie 110 i dont nknow about?!