Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Aguilar GS112s or a Bergantino 322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Which would you buy, if you were playing a 5 string through an Ashdown ABM-500. Styles range from Hard rock to funk to Jazz to reggae....

and if you have any particular reasons why, I'd love to hear!

Thank you

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO and a Bergie HT322. I also just bought an Aguilar GS112. But I have not tried the Ashdown with two (2) Aggie GS112's. I am VERY tempted to try two Aguilar GS112's. They are so light. One of them sounds great. Two has to be even better. I'll give a full report sometime soon.

I tried my Ashdown ABM500 with my single Agguilar GS112 and it was good, but not amazing. The Ashdown sounds much more impressive when it is running into a 4 ohm load. That takes ful advantage of all its power. (575W @4 ohm)

Bergie HT322 with the Ashdown ABM500 is simply amazing! stunning tone, versatile, warm, yet can get modern hi-fi tones too. It can go from an old school vintage vibe to bright, clear and glassy for funk if need be. The Grind control dials in the tube preamp and gives just enough bite and growl to sound really good.

I too would like to hear from those who have compared two Aguilar GS112's to a Berg 322.

The one upside of the Bergantino 322 is that with the casters, you can easily roll into anywhere. The Ashdown/berg combination nails the Low B string and punch that is exceptional. The only other thin I'd like to try is a more powerful amp/preamp to hear if the Berg get's any better. It allegedly craves a lot of power.

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    To my ears the berg 322 is the best cab made! The question to you would be if you want to move one heavy cab or two smaller ones. The bad side of a 322 is that it might be too smooth. You might have to spend a little time with your eq to find the sweet spot, but when you do look out, its nice. Right before I responded to this post I hooked up my 322 to a trace head at 280 watts 4 ohms. Then hooked up two berg 112s to the same head. Without touching any knobs on the bass or the head the 322 was deeper, lower, louder and fuller sounding than the two 112s. The ag 112s are a little lower sounding than the berg 112s but it does give you a idea.

4. Thank you for your responses.I appreciate you taking the time to give me your experience with these cabs. The poll isnt helping me much, it is about split at this point. Portability is not much of an issue for me. I have an Aguilar GS410 and i really like the sound. On my search for additional cabs.... I don't know whether to stick with what i like or venture off on to Bergantino(which ive yet to hear, but have heard so many raves about).

Hmmmm......

Life's tough when your biggest dillema is which botique bass cabinet to buy :) .................

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Just a thought, you could buy a aguilar 212 cab and keep your ag 410. You would have the aguilar version of two 322s stacked. btw, thats what I use, two 322s.

6. Just goes to show you how different everyone's hearing and taste is.
    I have had all the Bergs you mentioned and even more I think. I prefer the the HT/EX112 over the HT322. You are correct in saying the 322 is deeper though but the small cabs are punchier and not just in midrange freqs (at least to me). (of couse I'm not selling my NV610 either, very punchy :D ) Also, I think when you take the amp you used and don't change any settings all that proves is the cabs are different and we know that. I'm not trying to me a smarta$$ here either. Your test is valid for other reasons, just not comparing which is louder or deeper. You have to tweak any piece of equipment to get to sound like or similar to another one. For example, just the other day I was messing with my NV610 and my Mesa 1x15 with a HT-112 on top. I had to mess with the setting a lot on my Walter Woods Ultral to get them to sound similar to see which one I preferred and that would only be in my practice room. Last night I took the Boogie and HT112 to rehearsal for kicks and was disappointed when in the band mix, but it sounded great in my practice room, even deeper and somewhat punchier than my NV610..... But I know when I brought my NV610 to several bigger outside gigs it shined to the max, and that is what I bought it for. I've had lots of high end gear that all sounded great but didn't do it for me on the job.

I guess my rambling on here is to point out that I've learned much from all you TBr's here AND to be careful HOW I compare gear and for what total purpose or main purpose am I going to be using it for. There are so many variables to factor in and great deal of experience and testimony to learn from here and other places.

Back to it. I found the HT322 a great cab, but I had to stand away from it to really appreciate it and that is not practical for me or my ears. I didn't care for the Aggie 112's so I voted for the 322. But my real vote goes for the Berg HT112 x two.

7. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I really respect Big Strings view on this subject. What sounds great at home and in the music store as a stand-alone sonic demo doesn't always translate well in the live band mix. THAT is what I need the most!

For what it's worth, I have been using a Bergie HT322 for a year now. I continue to struggle in a variety of settings to get the sound I want on stage. But out in the room, I have been told over and over that it sounds incredible and mixes well, but still has a very clear and distinct voice.

When I do the sound check (I'm the sound guy for our band usually), I always walk way out into the room to listen to what the audience is hearing. It is usually different in varying degrees from how things sound on stage. I have to remind my band mates that when they sometimes think I am playing too loud, it is consequence of the false raised floor on stage. The Bergie actually thins out a little in the room compared to what I hear on stage.

That is one reason why 2 small 1x12 cabs I think might be better. They are very punchy and tend to be as accurate and authentic sounding on stage as they do out in the room. I think they might possess a more constant near-field sound versus how they sound out in the room/band mix. Anyone care to comment on this? Conjecture on my part purely.

8. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Your right. I have found that the two 112s sound the same and punch through both on stage and off. I use the two 112s for the classic rock band and they are perfect for me in that setting. I dont play any notes below E though. With the two 112s the low E and two octaves up E, they both have the same volume and I really like that. The only thing bad to say about them (and the nv610 as well) is that they dont have the huge low end that I want for my other two bands. Some or your problem might be in the 'ashdown sound'. With my ashdown pre I ran a pedal EQ in the loop to help it 'cut' better on stage and still keep the ashdown sound out front. btw, that is why I went to the eden pre.

9. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    The only reason I used the trace head was to keep the power level about the same and to give a rough idea about the two cabs. But I have to say that even with the pre/power rig and messing arround with eq I get the same findings. I can get both the 322 and two 112s to sound alike but the 322 gets louder. I do agree that the 112s and nv 610 cut and punch better on stage. Its taken me a long time (with the help of people here at TB) to get the sound Im after. I wanted a big low end, punch, keep the same volume from low notes to high notes, have the tone that I was looking for and at the same time not use pedals, compressors, etc. Just plug and play. Btw, thease are all great cabs in this thread and I would recomend any of them. Another Btw, and you might laugh, but a big part of the reason I might sell the nv 610 is so I wont buy the nv 215 to put under it. :bassist:

10. Believe me Brother, I know what you mean!
    And just note on my previous post, I did not take into consideration some things you fellas mentioned, being, type of music, and more strings.... I just use four strings now and drop D tune for a couple tunes. I only play in one band right now and it's more geared to a Rock style than any other style. So, there you go... more variables...
    There is no perfect rig for everything, but my two little Bergs get the closest for me. Thanks for your great input All.

:bassist: What I'm takin' about !

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    In a perfect world I'd love to have an HT322 run in stereo with my two 112's. That's what's I'm talkin about! I'm really hungering for an HT322 and I'm even toying with selling my 112 Berg's to do it. I'd really need to try the 322 in a live situation first though.

Back to the thread at hand: Go for the 322, hand's down. If you want 112's than go all the way and get the Bergs. Don't mess around with anything else. I've compared my Bergs with Aguilars and there just isn't a comparison. The Bergs are more articulate and they more appropriately convey the sound of your bass and your amp.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just got back from Wally's in Boston (one of the greatest clubs on earth) and I heard the bass player, Webster (one of the funkiest men on earth), with his HT322. No doubt in my mind, that's the cab for me. That thing filled the room like no other cab I've ever heard. There go my 112's.

13. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Which 112' do you have? Bergies? Aggies?

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have the Bergantino HT112 and the EX112.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

what he said!!!

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I choose the 2 aggies, for one reason & one reason alone.

I get them individually. For a guy like me, who's not playing alot of gigs, & just wants great sound... it makes sense.

To me, it wasn't an Ag vs Berg question,, it was a 1 big box, versus 2 small box question.

17. i still vastly prefer the bergantino HT-112 over the aguilar GS-112. they're about the same size and weight. there's no comparison in tone, though. if the aguilar tone is your thing, go buy a pair, but i prefer the clear, warm tones of the bergantino.

robb.

18. EM
    How much for the HT112 only ??
    If the price is right, I'll take it right now.
    you can pm if you like
    Biggie

19. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Yo! BigString..........You're outa' control with the Bergies!!!L.O.L.!! :D
    GEEK

20. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Berg HT/EX 1x12's :)