Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 Aguilar GS112's vs. 1 SWR Henry 8x8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Here are two 4-ohm speaker setups I've been considering. Assuming they're being driven with a relatively low-power amp (EBS HD350, SWR bass 350 or SM400, or Eden WT 400 for example,) would you rather play through a single SWR 8x8 cab or a pair of Aguilar 1x12's? The Aguilars get points for being easier to carry, but is there a chance that they'd sound underpowered or that they'd have less definition or less "chest thump" than the 8x8?

2. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use two Aguilar GS112s with the SWR SM500 and there is no problems driving them. I run them in Bridge mode to get 500W @4ohms and I only have the master volume up 1/4 and it is plenty loud and thumpy. The GS112s are very nice for their portability. It is a nice setup.

-KB

3. Well Golem II, I happen to have both of these setups. I switch back and forth between the two depending on the situation and my mood. At first I was powering my cabs with a WT-300 but I have since moved up to a 1000 watt poweramp/preamp setup. Both rigs sound great and I can't really say that I favor one's tone over the other although my bandmates seem to prefer the 8x8. Go figure.

In my (very non-technical) experience using the Eden WT300 the 8x8 matched up better than the 2 Aggies. The 8x8 was louder/more defined than the Aggies. It may be because of the power rating/power amp matchups being different: The 8x8 is rated at 480w at 4ohms and each Aggie is 300w at 8 so I assume that the total is 600w. It may also just be due to the design of the cabs themselves. I dunno. The 8x8 is very loud and has alot of "throw" meaning that you need to get 20 feet away from it to really hear it.

Once I started putting more watts into the Aggies the playing field was leveled quite a bit. The chest thump was pretty equal but the 8x8 is slightly louder.

I bought the Aggies because they sound great for rock, were affordable and they are very easy to move around. Kinda like mini 115 cabs. Sometimes my 8x8 is just too much to move and too much for some rooms. I like the flexibility the 112s give me. Now I can size my rig to the situation.

Obviously you should try before you buy but if you are only putting 300-400 watts into 4 ohms I'd go with the Henry.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

4. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I was also considering these two cabinet setups. The 8x8 was my dream cab, but I just couldn't justify hauling it up and down 2 flights of stairs for practice and gigs. The aguilars give just as much thump and low end to my ears, but I didn't get to hear them side by side. The aggies sound better and better with more power and more volume.

If portability is no value, then pick on tone. If you want a portable rig, the aggies will win in the end. You'll get tone and tone, plus an easy to carry setup.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I LOVE the Henry 8x8,especially the ones made before Rabe left the company.Alas,this love shall remain unrequited,for I drive a lowly Saturn into which I struggle to fit a 4x10...

6. Maybe it is just my wonderful youth speaking here, but the Henry the 8x8 cab isnt very big. For that sound I would be willing to carry it. I just think back to seing my old bass teacher play through a SVT4-Pro and 2 8x8s. Sounded really good and cut through very well.

jtbp