Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 AKAI UNI BASS QUESTIONS...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stompfrog, Mar 30, 2005.

1. as i understand, the ub-1 adds an octave higher to the bass sound. you then have the option to add a harmony and/or distortion to that higher note. then you have two outputs...

one for the clean bass sound

and

one for the distorted guitaresque sound

am i right so far???

1) if so..... do you have to have a guitar amp in your bass rig to use this pedal or can you mix the signal in with the original bass signal sent to the bass amp.

2) also can you add distortion to the original note i.e. not the octave higher.

thanks a million

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i do not own a unibass, but i think i can answer part of your question.

firstly, i wouldnt imagine that you need a guitar amp. and as for mixing the signal with the clean signal, yes you can get an a/b box, or a loooper or something of that nature.

im not sure about adding distortion to the original note with the unibass itself but certainly you could put a distortion pedal behind the unibass in the clean signal path.

3. Hi

I appreciate that the two signals could be blended but wondered if it could be done exclusivley using the unibass without shelling out for loopers/blenders etc.

thanks for your contribution none the less.

does anyone have a unibass in their setup who can help me?

4. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    We tried the pseudo bi amping thing once, all you need is an extra cable that connects the Unibass to the guitar amp. The sound wasn't that much better, but I guess you can improve it lots if you fiddle around with the guitar amp settings.

5. i want to avoid having two amps if possible.

so...
    can you have the original bass sound and the distorted "guitar sound" coming out of a single output and into the next effect or.....

... do you need some kind of blender??

______ _________
    |uni |------------| |
    >---|bass | | blender |--------->
    |_____|-------------|________|

6. OOOOOPS

LETS TRY THAT AGAIN??
    ..........______...................._________
    ..........|uni....|------>------|.............|
    ....>---|bass..|..................| .blender |--------->
    ..........|_____|------>------|________|

THEY DONT MAKE THIS EASY FOR YOU DO THEY??

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes you can have both signals come out of one output. No a guitar amp is not required.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, no need for a blender, it's built into the Unibass. The pedal has a "Mix" output jack that outputs both the clean signal and the processed signal mixed together, which you then plug into your bass amp.

9. AWESOME!

thanks for the help guys.

Q2) can the distortion be added to the original pitch note or just the higher one.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    just the higher one

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I used to own a UniBass, and loved it... just didn't use it nearly enough for the music I was playing.

Anyway, I found the best way to get a distorted sound for both signals is to run the input level so the yellow led is on, and the red led is flashing, the tone at max, run the mix as desired, and then run the distortion about 9 o'clock... just enough to "massage" out the "digital-ness" of the mixed sound. Then run the whole mess immediately into a Overdrive/distortion pedal.

Another fun thing I tried once is to use a AB/Y or blend pedal. Split off the mixed signal to the AB/Y, send the dry signal into my Bass-wah, then to the AB/Y. This is really funky as you have a nice deep growling bass wah, with a distorted overtone... Very interesting.. lots of fun...

12. Hi,

I use a unibass and get good results with it. I run the effected signal out through a volume pedal then a Yamaha Magic Stomp then a Boss giga delay and then finally into a guitar amp. I send the unibass signal out with no akai distortion because I use a distortion patch on the Yamaha which makes the sound really meaty and much more realistic at simulating a real guitar. It is cool to use the modify switch to mute the real bass sound going to the bass amp because I can widdly solo using just the guitar sound. I always keep the effect on and use the volume pedal to bring the octave guitar sound in and out as desired.

I play in a three piece band and this setup up really helps with filling out the sound especially when the guitarist switches over to his keyboard.

I would have to add that the built in distortion isn't as fat as I would have liked so I would recommend adding an extra fx pedal after it. Big thumbs up though for the tracking as it does follow what you play fairly quickly although limited to a monophonic playing style which takes a little getting used to.

Overall I would recommend this pedal.

13. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Stompfrog - Thought I recognised the website in your sig. You left a message at www.2piece.co.uk recently, those are some cool mp3's on the site I must order a demo.

14. HEY!

Hows it going! glad you like the songs. Still trying to work out if the unibass is gonna do me any favours. i found some samples on the net but thought they sounded pretty naff.
    here they are: http://www.geocities.com/basseffects/
    is this representative of the unibass cos i dont realy like the sound at all on these samples.

cheers.

15. those links dont work??

16. rutherford420

rutherford420

Apr 2, 2005
    I know Akai has stopped making these, but I'm wondering if any dealers may have one in stock.

Does any one else make any thing even close to this box?

TIA,
    Dave

17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
  18. much better,

it sounds good. will keep my eyes peeled on ebay!! :hyper: