Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 ampeg 15e's with GK800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skieresz, Mar 4, 2004.

1. skieresz

skieresz

Nov 30, 2002
    I want to run a 2x15 setup with my GK 800 but want to avoid the 2x15 cabinet size. So I'm considering running a couple ampeg 15e cabinets - they're easy to transport and don't cost an arm and a leg. I got one and like the sound so figure adding another would fit the bill. Oh, I'm playing in a LOUD rock project. Anyone have any opinions or experience with this setup or at least the 15e cabinets?

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

david simms (from the jesus lizard) had a gk800 pushing 2 1x15's and i'm in love with his tone but that's another thing altogether. i've always liked the sound of 15's. and a 2 1x15 setup tempts me.

i have no experience w/ any ampeg cabs other than my 4x10's but most people around here (i think) really don't have too much to say in the negative about ampeg cabs.

i'm pretty sure a bunch of people are gonna try to steer you towards a 2x10 on top of that 1x15, but i'd tell you to take your amp and cab to the gc or sam ash or where ever you're gonna acquire your new cab and try out the 2 1x15's. let your ears decide. and i wouldn't buy anything without hearing it first or at least having a trial period.

3. skieresz

skieresz

Nov 30, 2002
    I have played w/ a 2x15 cabinet before w/ my RB, so I know I like that sound (it was an ancient Fender cab loaded w/ EV's). What I want to know is, generally speaking, do I lose much by going 2 individual 15 cabs rather than the one 2x15?. And I'm pretty stuck on the 15e's 'cause their 16" deep and so will fit in my ride. Anything deeper than 16 1/2" won't fit. Thanks.