2 amps > 1 cab (Need serious help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosquitomosquit, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mosquitomosquit

mosquitomosquit

Apr 29, 2012
    I have a Sunn SGA 107 Graphic Amplifier (100 watts @ 4 ohms). I just recently picked up a hand crafted 1x12" cabinet from Craiglist. It can handle 300 watts at 4 ohms. (The seller was not the builder, but he told me that the cab could be switched to 8 ohms quite simply in a matter of minutes). While my Sunn is intended to be used primarily as a power/ slave amp, it has a 7 band EQ and provides me with great tone, so I have it hooked up to the cab, and use this as a standalone rig. While the tone is great, it is lacking in volume. The cab's seller played his 200 watt Hartke through the cab while I was there and it was SIGNIFICANTLY louder than my Sunn. This brings me to my question:

Is there a way to incorporate a second power amp into my rig as a means of providing more power to the speaker, and achieving louder volume? There is a Traynor PM 100 power amp on Craigslist. It has 2 inputs, 2 outputs, and a volume knob. Nothing else. It provides 100 watts at 4 ohms.

Is there a way to hook up my Sunn + this traynor and send the signal INTO ONE CABINET in a way that will provide me with more power/ volume that what I have currently? If so, will the signal that the amp receives be 200 watts at 8 ohms, or what?

Help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    :help:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No.

1 amp----->1 cab, or you will end up with 0 amps. You can use the pre from 1 amp and run it to the power of another, but that still equals 1 amp and 1 cab.

Unless this speaker has dual voice coils, a transformer, or some other electronic trickery most of them don't have....the whole switching impedance thing is B.S.

If you want to get louder, you simply need more speakers.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is possible the speaker is actually a car sub with dual voice coils, in which case I would return it and get my money back. :eek:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jury-rigging a contraption doesn't really make a lot of sense. You'd be a lot better off buying a single amp that meets your tone and volume goals. I suppose you could buy a separate power amp and run the preamp of your Sunn to it, but that still means lugging more gear and taking more time to set it up.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021