2 amps > 1 cab (Need serious help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosquitomosquit, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mosquitomosquit

mosquitomosquit

Apr 29, 2012
    I have a Sunn SGA 107 Graphic Amplifier (100 watts @ 4 ohms). I just recently picked up a hand crafted 1x12" cabinet from Craiglist. It can handle 300 watts at 4 ohms. (The seller was not the builder, but he told me that the cab could be switched to 8 ohms quite simply in a matter of minutes). While my Sunn is intended to be used primarily as a power/ slave amp, it has a 7 band EQ and provides me with great tone, so I have it hooked up to the cab, and use this as a standalone rig. While the tone is great, it is lacking in volume. The cab's seller played his 200 watt Hartke through the cab while I was there and it was SIGNIFICANTLY louder than my Sunn. This brings me to my question:

Is there a way to incorporate a second power amp into my rig as a means of providing more power to the speaker, and achieving louder volume? There is a Traynor PM 100 power amp on Craigslist. It has 2 inputs, 2 outputs, and a volume knob. Nothing else. It provides 100 watts at 4 ohms.

Is there a way to hook up my Sunn + this traynor and send the signal INTO ONE CABINET in a way that will provide me with more power/ volume that what I have currently? If so, will the signal that the amp receives be 200 watts at 8 ohms, or what?

Help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    :help:

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    No.

1 amp----->1 cab, or you will end up with 0 amps. You can use the pre from 1 amp and run it to the power of another, but that still equals 1 amp and 1 cab.

Unless this speaker has dual voice coils, a transformer, or some other electronic trickery most of them don't have....the whole switching impedance thing is B.S.

If you want to get louder, you simply need more speakers.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is possible the speaker is actually a car sub with dual voice coils, in which case I would return it and get my money back. :eek:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jury-rigging a contraption doesn't really make a lot of sense. You'd be a lot better off buying a single amp that meets your tone and volume goals. I suppose you could buy a separate power amp and run the preamp of your Sunn to it, but that still means lugging more gear and taking more time to set it up.