1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 Amps 1 Cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sifi2112, Mar 25, 2020.

1. sifi2112

sifi2112

Feb 5, 2009
    Hi all,

I’m just about to get a Tech21 GED2112 & am planning on using both channels of a power amp for ‘drive’ & ‘deep’ ... so I want to rewire my 212 cab to accept separate Speakons for each driver (8 Ohm each), will it be detrimental having both drivers in the same cab / space ?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yes. Very detrimental.

Aqualung60 and Mushroo like this.
  3. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Given that both drivers are identical and would be reproducing what is still substantially the same signal, I think it wouldn't be all that disadvantageous. But hey...just IMHO.

If you don't want to modify the cab too much, you could use both pairs of a regular ol' NL4 connector to carry both speaker pairs on the cab end. The speaker cable would be 'wye' cable with the two pairs split out to two different (presumably Speakon) connectors.

4. sifi2112

sifi2112

Feb 5, 2009
    How about I make a dividing panel to isolate the drivers ?

dbase likes this.
  5. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    I'm not the one who thinks you would need to, but that would certainly address whatever objection someone might make about the concept. If it's possible, that is...is it a ported cab?

6. sifi2112

sifi2112

Feb 5, 2009
    Yeah ported but each driver has its own port. It’s a Bagend D12-D
    It was one of the powered ones but I took the power amp out & sealed it with ply so not a hard job to add another Speakon ... but harder to separate & deal into two sections though ... thanks for your reply’s :) .. anymore or anyone else please comment

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Next question: is the back removable, or would you have to do it through the speaker cut-outs? And you do get that it would have to be pretty much an airtight partition, right? Sounds to me like it might be do-able, but far from being worth the effort. When you get done, you'll have two 1.5 cu. ft. 112 boxes--each with a fairly unsubstantial 12" driver--in a 78 lb. package. Is that worth it?

How about buying another, smaller cab to do the 'drive' part and just using this cab, as is, for the 'deep' part?

And I'll reiterate my opinion, as a long-time builder and sometimes designer, that you don't need to worry about partitioning off the cab if it has identical drivers carrying the signal from the same bass guitar, regardless of how differently you're processing them. Were you thinking of using an active crossover? If not, then you REALLY don't need to be concerned about it, IMO.

8. sifi2112

sifi2112

Feb 5, 2009
    Thanks again for your feedback .. I was hoping it wouldn’t matter as I am indeed sending the signal from one bass (source). No crossover, only GED preamp. Not sure if there’s any crossover going in that tho .. guess as long as I volume match the drivers to try keep it consistent ..

9. Conventional TB wisdom-get a second matching cab.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    For guitar applications it's probably not a big deal to share the same air space because of the smaller amount of low frequency content.

For bass guitar applications, the low frequency content places additional mechanical requirements on the driver. If sharing an air space, the RMS power handling of each driver should be reduced by at least 50% unless the content is truly identical (including phase and amplitude).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    mmon77, ObsessiveArcher and soundguy like this.
  11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Why not just EQ what you need, rather than use power amp dsp?
    Perhaps I am not understanding your intentions?

Once the sound is emitted from the cabinet, it is in effect mixed. Couldn't you achieve the same, or even superior results with simple EQ, or even by mixing two channels of pre-amp EQ? Why do you need to "mix" two channels of power amp in the air?

12. I used to think all the time about how to hit my tone with the fancy-stick... but in time I noticed all I ever need is bass into tuner into loud amp. if there is a 3 band eq somewhere I might fiddle with it. the disclaimer - I might not be best at giving advice on the use of the fancy-stick.

I can appreciate being able to control levels of driven signal and dry, but that can be done easily with a number of different pedals like bddi it's blend knob, or with an LS2 or similar.

TC, can you just keep the cab the way it is and add another to do the drive if you like the sound of the cab? If you don't like the cab the way it is, build something cool.

However, with all that said, these kind of projects can at least be fun and educational, even if it is to learn that anything worth doing is already being done better by the manufacturers.

LowActionHero likes this.
  13. Rfan

Rfan

Dec 31, 2017
    None
    Why complicate things. Bass----cable----amp. Other than the occasional insertion of MXR M-80 I have always been able to achieve satisfactory tone.

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The GED does indeed employ a crossover, thus providing separate output for the Drive and Deep channels. I also think the correct solution is leave the BagEnd alone to be used with the Deep channel, and get a more mid/high centric cab for the Drive channel.
    I recommend rereading the user manual to better understand the GED.
    http://www.tech21nyc.com/t21manuals/GED_2112_OM.pdf

grouse789 and agedhorse like this.
  15. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    this! ^^^
    Though I would say, "conventional wisdom period" :)

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Actually, when the sound emits from 2 sources, they do mix acoustically provided they are reasonably close together physically. Otherwise, (large) PA systems wouldn't work.

17. there's some ideas with the hifi stereo guys that certain frequencies should not come from the same enclosures and should be mixed in the air, I guess what we are wondering here is with a bass amplifier is there any practical reason to not do the mixing/blending at the amp or pedal and use just one mono signal to the cab?

edit: punctuation

18. sifi2112

sifi2112

Feb 5, 2009
    Ok thanks a lot guys I’ll reread your posts & the manual. I do have a basslite 2010 collecting dust so could do something with that, maybe use it for the ‘drive’ & find something else (smaller than Bagend 212) for the ‘deep’ .. maybe a bp102 ? GED preamp on its way & power amp waiting .. just cab ideas really ?

19. Redbrangus

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Using the Basslite 10 for a drive channel would work well enough, given that you already have one. But how much smaller than a 3 cu. ft. box do you think you can do for a cab that's supposed to be your 'deep' channel? Or do you not play with a drummer?

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't understand the goal. There is nothing to gain from using separate amps for each channel.

Jim Carr likes this.