1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 amps 2 cabs 1 amp 2 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matzingerz, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Best option is two SVT-CL's into four 215 cabs.

MVE, bobyoung53 and higain617 like this.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Only if the power is going into a cab that can do something useful with it. 300 watts into a cab that can handle realistically only 400 watts will be X volume, but sending 600 watts to the same cab will be dead silent after a bit of fanfare and rumbling from the cab as the drivers get destroyed. At the very least many cabs simply turn excess power into heat after a point. So the answer to whether or not 300 watts is louder powering a cab than 600 watts is objectively 'maybe.'

ctmullins likes this.
  3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Either way you would be in pretty good shape. And encourage you too buy 2 SVT810E and do it lol.

But aside from all the math in how sound works. and how much power does this and how much sound pressure you get every time you double the effective speaker area. meaning to double the effective area of 8 speakers. means adding 8 more of the same speakers.

Basically the real issue is adding a 4ohm load then another 4ohm load makes it a 2 ohm load.

and yes even if the amp is quoted to be able to handle a 2 ohm load ( many do not) it is incredible difficult for a amp to drive a 2ohm load either way and needs alot of current. ( bigger power supply) to do it. alot easier to use higher voltage to get more power at 4ohms then push the snot out of one amp to do 2ohms. even if it can do 2 ohms. its better to be a magic amp scientist and just use 2 amps. not because its more watts. but youll increase the likely hood of your amps surviving . plus if you push amps hard or to distortion. ive noticed a certain sponge factor at 2 ohms.
    plus your talking a buttload of heat and amps hate heat. your are now dedicating that much more heat sink and alot more fan cooling by using 2 amps.

obviously the correct answer is SIX 2x15 cabinets not Four.
    get with it man what is your problem ;)

regardless of exact math that is the basic proportion though in my experience. 4x15 or 8x10 is roughly same SPL before sponge out.

i just added 2 more cabs to the equation lol cause with a 8x15 its already so loud another 2 more cabs would not be audible anyways. but just look cool. and there yah go....Science!!!

MattZilla likes this.
  4. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Yes, but do yourself a favor before you buy the second amp. Invest in some custom fit ear protection. They now come with full frequency transmission, as opposed to foam plugs.

5. Super Bass

Super Bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Well finally a cool reply to a ridiculous thread...

6. I must call this out. +3dB is not barely noticeable; it is plainly noticeable. I am not saying it is an earth-shaking difference, but it is much more of a difference than “barely noticeable”. Especially at high SPL, +3 dB can be quite noticeable.

Sensibly enough the JND (Just Noticeable Difference) is right about 1 dB.

MarkA, agedhorse and bobyoung53 like this.
  7. No, the “barely detectable” thing for +3 dB is a TB canard.

The JND is, quite sensibly, 1 dB.

I highly recommend reading this website from an acoustics class. It has sound samples that demonstrate 3 dB, 1 dB, and 1/2 dB differences, and states that the JND is about 1 dB.

dB: What is a decibel?

ctmullins likes this.
  8. Yes, it makes a big difference esoteric arguments aside.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    lowplaces likes this.
  9. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    there is probably no good reason to do it. But i gotta say first show i ever did with 2 cabs 2 heads. My Jazz bass came alive!! almost a dream like state. Everyone knows the in and outs of the before and after of playing shows. and a whole night just flys by in 15 mins it seemed. big show great friends just a amazing experience.

3 dB just seems like a dumb number. but 3dB is a big difference.
    and once your at 2 svt810. its really at that point adding another cabinet is no different. most ive done is 3 cabs. it was there amp is on.

its kinda joke i made earlier. you know if you have enough cabs when you start adding more and you just cant hear the thing. then even though not needed you still put the stupid thing on the trailer and stage anyways. and then of course the look on the other bands faces is always priceless. yeah bruh you should go on before us. lol

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    DrMole, bobyoung53 and lowplaces like this.
  10. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    B7857C43-8886-48DC-8C5A-5D047FE186E8.

lowplaces, DrMole and bobyoung53 like this.
  11. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    ....and don’t forget, to stack your cabs vertically to prevent comb filtering! ;)

MattZilla likes this.
  12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Sure. I'll buy that.

I had been going on the premise that if you want to make a worthwhile difference, +3dB is barely worth it, best to strive for more.
    I'll take a look at that link. Thanks!

HolmeBass likes this.
  13. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I don't think an 8x15 will fit in my car, so I guess I'm bus shopping in addition to cab shopping.

14. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    In a controlled environment, a 0.5dB difference is noticeable.

The reason the Decibel is defined the way it is, is so that anybody with reasonably healthy hearing can easily detect single increments.

To quote Nigel Tufnel "It's 1 louder."

:thumbsup:

15. Well it often is not worth it. If you’re getting burried in your band’s sound stage it is rare that +3 dB will fix the problem. But if all you need is some extra headroom at the upper end of your band’s dynamic range +3 dB can easily do the trick. Tweaking a FOH or recording mix +3 dB can be huge.

The linked page is really well done IMHO and worth checking out for anyone dealing with audio.

16. I would check that link I posted. 0.5 dB is not clearly noticeable in their example recordings. Which leads to a pretty freaky perceptual experience where each subsequent sample sounds the same, but after 2 or 3 samples go by you realize the volume is decreasing. And that article also identifies the JND as around 1 dB.

17. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    It may be obvious, but I think it’s worth pointing out that the extra 3dB is only beneficial when you’re at your loudest.

Stevorebob, agedhorse and Double E like this.
  18. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    Everything ... no wait, nothing is new under the sun 8x15 Can't Wait

19. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

I'll check it when I get a chance, but note I said "in a controlled environment".

When you're refining a mix, in a properly outfitted control room, you can certainly determine half a Decibel difference to an individual mix element (not the summed mix).

In a live setting however, it takes a significantly larger change for an individual element to have an appreciable difference in level, from the audiences POV.

20. matzingerz

matzingerz

Dec 26, 2018
    Germany
    Wow i really read all the answers and thank you guys for this hot discussion. I now really know what I wanted to know and had a couple laughs on the way :D