2 amps???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboy89, Jan 25, 2004.

1. bassboy89

Dec 24, 2003
    hey guys

would i be able to connect two small amp together to get more sound??

2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Nope. :(

Seriously though, the physics of it are against you. It's almost 5:00am and I'm in no condition to explain, but I'm sure someone will elaborate on this.
  3. Well, it kinda depends on whether or not:
    a. one small amp has a line out, some do, some don't
    b. the other small amp has something of a line in.
    I'm not completely sure if you can jack a line out signal into the instrument input of antoher amp, it's meant to drive power amps, not pass another pre-amp. It'll definitely work with the return of an effects loop, but most small amps don't have those.
    So it could be done. One thing you absolutely CAN do however is use your small amps line out to drive some kind of power amp and speakers. You could build a wall stacked to the ceiling with power amps and speakers, if you feel the urge, and drive those with your small amps line out signal.
    But you probably don't have stacks of power amps and speakers, you probably have two or more small amps. So you could hook 'em together if one of them has an FX return, or maybe if it's possible after all to jack a line out signal into the instrument input of the other amp. But someone else has to answer that, I just don't know.

4. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    You can, as long as one of them has some sort of output that doesnt mute the speaker. Headphones are no good! Simply go:
    Bass > Amp (with line out) > Amp

It can go into the normal bass input, it probably shouldnt, but it can. Save your pennies, by a bigger amp. (Or PA)

HTH :D
  5. i THINK they have a thing you can get that is a signal splitting box. You plug your bass into it, and it splits the signal in two. So you plug one amp's instrument input into the box on the left, and the other amp into the right. The signal from your bass will be put into both amps. I was told this works, but I have never done it.
  6. some stagetuners has two outputs, like Arion.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This works fine, I used to drive my GK stack and a Marshall Guitar half stack with this. Sounded great and loud as heck.
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Get a Morley A/B switch. They're $50 new on Musicians Friend, but you can get them used for maybe $30-35.

9. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'd recommend using a stereo chorus to send signals to each amp. When you turn the chorus off, you still have a dry signal going to each amp.