Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 ashdown questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 29, 2004.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    howdy yall got todays brain busters for you.

1. if i wanted to rack mount my abm 900, how would i do it? it seems like it'd be easier to rack mount. and also i think it would be a bit safer. if not does anyone make road cases that will fit it?

2. im going to buy the ashdown labs preamp. the one with all the funy knobs and what not. how would i run that into my 900 head. would i just run a cable from the output of the back of the preamp into the inpout of my power amp (the 900) and obviously run my bass into the inpute of the pre.

thanks a bunch yall.

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hop you have more luck rackmounting your ABM900 than I had rackmounting my ABM300 - Ashdown basically said it couldn't be done as the amp inside the sleeve has no top cover plate. They made no suggestions as to how/where I could get a suitable cover plate or if rack mounting lugs had ever been designed for the amps....

The preamp should be easily attached to your abm - just run it into the effects return on the back of your head...

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    yea bigwan. i thoguth about that myself. the top cover plate doesnt bother me. if its in a rack and all that jazz its safe. and it makes tub replacement easier. again, something ill need to figure out is how to replace the tubes and what not. it only need 1 12ax7 tube right?

however, ive already got some stuff running into my fx loop what would i do then? i mean i thought you could use it just like any old per amp pedal/preamp. just plug and chug.

4. I´m no tube guru, but I don´t think preamp tubes need replacing very often, hardly ever in fact. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable (psychobassguy is the resident tube amp expert here) can confirm this.

5. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The Ashdown labs preamp probably has an effects send and return too - use it instead and send the output of the preamp to the effects return of the ABM...

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok fellas. thanks a million. ill send ashdown an e-mial and double check. thanks agin.