2 band onboard eq question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Apr 20, 2004.

1. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Does anyone make a 2 band eq (OBP1 or similar) that actually have a treble boost and cut instead of just a treble boost? I don't care if the bass is boost only or boost and cut.
  2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I think they only do one or the other. Either boost or cut. I've never heard of one that does both with a center dented knob. Are you having that hard of a time getting the tone you want?
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I would like to have the ability to do a treble cut without having to wire a passive tone knob. I know the OBP3 has treble boost and cut, but I didn't want a 3 band eq. The 3rd band would be way overkill. I can do this with a treble boost only and a passive tone knob, but that just means an extra pot and less room in the cavity.
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I just looked into that. Looks good. Probably use the BTS to get separate bass and treble pots. Is this the equivalent of the OBP1 (preamp/eq) or is this only the eq part? How is the sound quality of the EMG?
  5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    How many control pot holes do you have? If you have four I woud suggest going to the EMG BQC system. You add mid control and you get the BASS/TREBLE on a concentric also with center detents for flat. The mid control is a big difference. I have this system in all of my basses

good luck
  6. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

Don't want the mid control. If I did go with a mid control, I would use the OBP3.
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Can I say totally b@d@ss here? If not, then I would call it super :). I have the BTC Controll (bass/treble on a cocentric pot), and absolutely love it. As for the preamp, I'm not sure there is one there. I know my EMG pups have a pre, so I don't think the BTC does.
  8. I've had the BTS/BTC control too. I thought it was a great addition. You might also like to look at the John East "P-Retro", which is the bass and treble control from the J-retro. I just bought a used one which I plan to install in my Roscoe. I believe Bartolini also hat the NTB or something like that which is a two band. From what I've seen the BTC is fairly reasonably priced too. I bought one for about $40. The East pre will run you about $150 new. They're pretty scarce on the used market. Happy hunting.
  9. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

that would make sense since it can be used with the active pups
  10. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I'm sure the East would be good, but they seem to be expensive compared to other options. Just for comparison, does Bartolini have a preamp/eq that does boost&cut? If not the EMG still seems to lead the pack.
  11. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    just found out the Bartolini 2 band is boost and cut. Back to the front of the pack, you go!
  12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    also, Seymour Duncan make a two band with boost/cut
  13. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    I've had a Bart NTBT and still have a BTC. The Bart I converted to an outboard and it was quality stuff for a 2 band. I've got a couple Bart NTMBs and TCTs so sold the NTBT and an Aguilar OBP-1 (have an OBP3). I also converted the OBP 1 to an outboard and it was totally anemic compared to the NTBT.

If you're thinking about the EMG, I've got one of the bass/treble circuit boards (like on the BTC pots) I'd ship your way for $25. It's just sitting here doing nothing. I wired it as an outboard also - just to check it out. It was between the NTBT and Aggie in terms of performance. I got it with a set of EMG PJs. I'd never seen one not connected to a pot. Kinda cool for cramped quarters since it basically takes up no space and you can stick it anywhere.
  14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    A few more things about the John East pre. It is Bass boost only (15 db's YES!!!)and treble boost and cut. The treble control also has a frequency switch for a higher boost and cut of 5K I think. Concentric pots configuration with a push/pull switch for the treble frequency tap.
  15. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    For what it's worth:

in my recollection the Bart NTBT is 18 db bass boost and 18 db cut and I'm thinking 18 db treble boost and 16 db cut, may be 16/15 - something like that. Which explains why it's a bit of a killer piece. Sold mine for $50 for preamp only - no pots. Which is also what I got for the OBP 1. The NTBT usually also has a 5K or 10K trim pot, mine did.
  16. Hi Sheepdog,

if you are safe with modifing the thing inside. (TAke it with benefit of doubt as i not a tech and your different pups etc)

just the other week I emaild Aguilaramp asking how to make more useful the treble control, for with the SD acive Js is too trblish.
    They suggested to install the passive tone control as from their diagrams on their site

solder a resistor and starting with one of 100k ohms, and maybe to experimnt with other values too.

i can't still cut trebls but have gained a much better tone and response all over the range

BY SOLDERING a 50k Ohms on the grey wire of the treble pot and
    a 100k Ohms on the Blue wire of the balnce pot
    and adding a 50k ohms pot for the volume.

Quite amazed with this achievement (of random tests), since my luthier never had this expertise to provide when I asked to install the OBP1 to get me better tone and control.

After this experience I feel that the OBP1 is v. good and even made for customizations. I wish I taken up electronics classes...

Now let's go back to play
  17. Do you happen do have any pictures of this NTBT outboard that you made? I was thinking about making an NTMB outboard to save on routing up my fretless...