Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 band preamp match

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 27, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am interested in your comments about 2 band onboard preamp. i am making a jazz like bass but equipped with 2 Precision style pickups. i want it to be passive with an onboard preamp (switchable).
    i know about aguilar and sadowsky. others? comments on the aguilar and the sadowsky?

thanks!!!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    EMG, Bartolini, Basslines and maybe others. The only one I can comment on is the Bart which has a lot of boost and cut available and a super-clean sound, IME.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    EMG is a good candidate for a couple of reasons.

1) It will turn your signal to low impeadance and will make longer cable runs less of an issue, so no signal loss. Im pretty sure most other preamps do the same, but I know for sure EMGs do this.

2) When the tone controls are set to their flat positions (Marked by a detent), the tone controls have no effect on the tone and you are running it flat as though passive, but still low impeadance.

3) Im also pretty sure that they have switches on their treble circuit for different frequency selections.

Peace
    Nick

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Just Try the E-pro BTB-01 (aka P-retro)

This preamp consists of the middle stacked pot from the J and U-retro preamps and I'm now fitting it as the standard pre for my basses.

You can wire it along with a volume/blend passive section (and a passive tone if you want to) and rely on a on/on switch to bypass the preamp. It work really well under 9v, and the sound just smokes!

Contact John East for mor info (www.j-retro.com) or check out the dudepit forums.

Peace, JP