Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2-band Ray or Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Aug 20, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    After about a year having a love/hate relationship with my EB Stingray, I finally decided to sell it. See when I got it, I had my heart set on getting a 2-band Stingray, maple neck, white with black pg, but the only one they had in my local music store was black on black, 3-band rosewood board. Anyways I decided that I'm going to sell it and get another. But now I'm considering getting a Sterling. Now the question is, do the 2-band stingrays, or sterlings suffer from the weak g-string? My stingray had it for a while until I finally figured out how to EQ everything just right, but to tell you the truth I'm lazy and I dont wanna have to go crazy with that again lol. hope you guys can share your wisdom with me, thanks alot.

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    No such thing as a 2-band Sterling.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I know, but I'd either like a 2 band Stingray or a Sterling.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    he never said 2-band sterling...stingray

I say go with the sterling. I'm very partial to them myself but thte truth is you will get much more tonal tonal out of the stingray than a 2-band stingray.

5. It all comes down to the neck and body shape, the best you can do is try them both, but i you ask me I'm partial to the Sterling.
    \

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah...keep in mind that the Sterling has a more "jazz bass" feel to it (thin neck) and the Stingray has a P bass kinda feel...wider string spacing. I prefer the Sterling...that's just me.

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think a 2-band Ray sounds a bit better than a Sterling, and if that's what you had your heart set on to begin with, then I'd go for that.

8. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love my SR5 and I'm GASing for a Sterling. The tonal difference between the SR4 and the Sterling are different, more tonal variety out of the Sterling.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    My standard answer: get both.

You can really never have too many good basses.

10. Damn right!
    I own a 2eq SR, but I also want a Sterling.

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks alot for the help guys. Basically I love the stingray I have now for the feel of it. I'm just not not crazy about the weak g-string mine seems to suffer from or the rosewood board. I EQed it just to the point where you can hear it as well as the other strings, but theres soo much high end it gets kind of harsh when i play with a pick (as I do alot these days) So basically what I'm hoping to get out of my new bass either the SR 2-band or the Sterling is nice smooth bass, with that classic musicman bite, even with pick. Oh this is a tough one, at least I know exactly what color combo I'm going for with each, so thats one less headache lol

12. I've owned a Sterling for a very, very long time.

I love it.

[​IMG]

13. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    nice bass marcusalan. I think I'm going to go out and give some sterlings a test drive. I think they're versatility is why I'd rather get one over a Stingray. Sucks they dont have the Stingray neck dimensions, I really like wide string spacing. Anyways what settings do all you sterling players out there use and what kind of tone do you get from them? just curious, and it'll give me a jumpstart when I go play a couple. Thanks again guys