Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2-Band Semi-Parametric EQ Confusing PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 14, 2005.

1. *sigh* :help:
    I come to all for help because I'm so confused by the almost infinite possibilities out of my 2-Band Semi-Parametric EQ on my Fender Bassman 250 Combo!!!! Its only a 2 band and I'm confused.

I'm looking to get a well defined midrange growl with some grind. How would you go about doing that with this?

Bass
    Low Mid 150Hz to 1.5kHz (12 O'clock is 700Hz)Cut/Boost15db
    High Mid 800Hz to 4kHz (12 O'clock is 2kHz) Cut/Boost15db
    Treble

The combo sounds awesome, but because of me being so obsessed with turning knobs with the possibilty of getting an even better tone, I get lost quickly! :crying: If you guys could give me a good frame of reference to start from, that would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    Again, a well defined midrange growl with some grind,what would you do??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. In very general terms, setting the low mid to dial in a little bit at around 450-600 hz will give you the mid punch and fingerstyle clarity, and dialing in a very little bit at between 1 to 2K will give you some grind. Of course, if you want a more scooped, modern sound, those would be the exact frequencies you would want to cut. Remember, a little bit goes a long way in those frequency ranges.

If your amp is a little light on the low end, and your bass control adds too much 'mush' try some low mid boost around 250 hz or so... that's the 'chest thumping' fequency.

You can't really do any harm, just play around with it. Try just adjusting one band first, with the rest of the controls set to 'flat' so you can really hear what's going on.

3. Thanks! Anyone else? What I get confused about mostly is boosting and cutting db!

Any other suggestions would be great! :hyper:

thanks.

4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    A couple of good tips worth passing-on:
    #1)until you get familiar and "dialed-in" to an amp it is a good habit to set all the controls flat and get the best tone you can with your bass, then start adjusting your amp eq. This helps give you a pure tone and allows the personality of you and your bass to come through better.
    #2) get a REALLY long chord. Even if you don't like playing with one(I hate it)it allows you to take a walk and hear what you sound like from the listeners point of view. We bass players often fall into the trap of thinking everyone else is hearing what we hear standing in front of our amps. That is rarely the case and can work both ways. Often when playing on stages the "boominess" gives a false bottom and when you walk out off of the stage things can sound really thin. Most of us find that the clarity of what we are doing get's lost and discover a need for dialing-up more mid. Anyway, I have a cheap 50' chord just for this reason.
    GOOD LUCK!!

5. Excellent advice, and I couldn't agree more. One of the main reasons I snagged an Xwire (extremely accurate wireless system) a while back was to get off the stage and out into the house during sound checks (etc.) to really hear my sound.

We'll split hairs endlessly debating which of two similar-sounding preamps or cabinets is best, but I have found that the real proof comes from out there where the audience is listening. This is the place where small differences are inaudible and surprising things that you can't hear right next to your rig really stand out.

6. Thanks guys, this is all good info! Very much appreciated.
    But I'm still left hanging from my origional inquire. I was looking for frequency sculpting advise. (Please read first post)

What would you do to get that tone?

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Did you try KJung's suggestions? (second post)

Wulf

8. If you're still not getting satisfaction, check IvanMike's EQ thread here for lots of helpful information:

EQ thread