2 bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My bass teacher was talking about 2 basses.
    Can you idenify them for me? Try to.
    Bass #1: Its pick-ups were moveable to get the differn't tension spots.

Bass #2: Music man with small humbuckers.

Thats all he said about them.

2. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I tried to run a search for Bass #1, as I can remember back in the 80's a bass that had it's pickup on a set of rails so it could be positioned anywhere from bridge to neck.

I'm not certain, but I believe it was a Washburn, maybe this will spark someone's memory. And I think it was "headless-stick" style, like a Steinberger.

But even though it seemed like a good idea, how many times would you need to move it...it was more of a: find where you like it, and leave it there, but most bass companies design their basses with the pickups in the best position(s) anyways. So I always thought of it as more of a novelty
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    #1 = Westone Rail, or maybe Gibson Grabber (?) Changing pup location has nothing to do w/ tension. The thing that gets me about the movable design is that the string vibration pattern changes when you play up and down the neck. You could maybe set the pup under a node for open strings, but as soon as you start fretting, the sweet spot would be different for each fret, so I say find a good sounding spot and leave it.
  4. #1 is a gibson grabber... same body as the ripper and the g3 but it only has 1 pickup as you described it
  5. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
  6. #2 possibly a Musicman Sabre ...