Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 basses, 2 EQ Settings - One amp (help?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Prashant, Sep 20, 2000.

1. Prashant

Prashant

Feb 29, 2000
    CT
    Hello,

I'm in a bit of a quandry, and I would appreciate any advice/information regarding the following. I have a feeling that there is a "quick-fix" solution here, and that I'm being an idiot - if so, I'll provide the cricket bat, and you provide the tap to the head.

The two basses I own require different EQ settings: flat for my Rob Allen, but tweeked in the mids for my G&L. I have one amp head - an Eden WT-300 (one input, one channel).

After not gigging for the past severel months (in which time I've acquired most of my gear, save the G&L), I'm planning on getting back to gigging some more. The problem is that I use both basses, and it really breaks up the continuity of a set to make everyone wait while I fiddle with my knobs...so to speak.

I'd like to find a solution for this problem while maintaining good sound/tone, and (hopefully) minimizing my investment in new gear.

The only viable solution that I have been able to think of is to invest in a new amplifier - one that has two channels with separate EQs - but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper method to solve my problem. Plus, I don't know where to begin in looking for a dual channel amp, and I am a little weary of going through another extensive gear evaluation process (which a new amplifier would require).

Thanks, in advance, for all of your assistance - I appreciate it very much.

Cheers,

Prashant

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use an A/B-box to switch between the two basses.
    My idea would be to leave the Eden-EQ flat and to use a (switchable, in case there's no remote switch for the FX loop) external rackmount-EQ in the Eden's serial FX loop.

[Edited by JMX on 09-20-2000 at 02:04 PM]

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    There are a few options - expensive ones would be to buy a programmable EQ, and control it via MIDI, next down the price scale would be to get any effects unit and use the EQ section, or you could get a Raven Labs Master Blender which gives you separate three band EQ on two channels with one output, or you could get a Boss EQ pedal and set one sound with it off, and then the other with it on, or invest in a sparkly new three band EQ to fit in one of your basses...

loadsa options! :oops:)

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. I had exactly the same problem using a Stingray and P & J basses through one amp. My fellow band members were starting to get very impatient when I wanted to change instruments. They thought I was just being flash, well you know what they're like, they just don't understand about the right bass sounds etc. :rolleyes:
    Solved it by doing one of the suggestions that Steve gave. Bought a Raven Labs Master Blender (PMB-1) which is great not just for EQ, but sound input levels between the basses you use.
    It is a very high quality pre-amp made by Steve Rage who used to own SWR.
    Highly recommended.

Here's a link to their site.

http://www.raven-labs.com/

[Edited by Spike on 09-20-2000 at 05:16 PM]

5. On outboard eq in the rack, on the floor, or on your belt is probably the most economical way to go. In addition to the above, the awesome Sadowsky preamp that either goes into the bass or the clip-on belt model doesn't have a midrange control: you could set the amp for your G&L and then add the Sadowsky to boost low and highs on the Rob Allen bass. The Fodera pedal preamp has a mid control and a special mid-bypass switch.

The Eden Metro combo has two channels which are footswitchable. You could add another cab. The EBS Fafner head has an eq bypass switch; don't the SWR SM-series heads have switchable eqs?

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have a Boss EQ pedal and an A/B-Box (very helpful because you don't have to plug in and out)
    I guess that's that cheapest solution, though I'm not too happy with the Boss pedal (IMHO weird frequency bands: 400 AND 500Hz, but nothing in the 250-300Hz range)

Matthias

7. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I use Stingrays and Jazz basses constantly and I had the same kind of problem. I used to have a footswitch to turn off the graphic eq with my old amp so I ran the eq. flat with the stingray (cause it has eq on board) and turned the eq. on for my jazz presets.

Then I upgraded. Actually I could run pretty much any bass flat with the EBS but I like to add a hint off bass sometimes so now I have a sadowsky outboard preamp between my jazz and the A/B box and it works perfectly.

8. Prashant

Prashant

Feb 29, 2000
    CT
    Thanks for all the replies!

Looks like I have several options to investigate. Since I have tried and didn't really care for the Boss EQ pedal, and I really would like to avoid buying a new amp, I think I'm going to eliminate those two options. However, there seem to be a few more left to investigate - the Raven Labs Blender in particular -so hopefully, I'll be able to close the books on this issue soon.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Prashant