1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 basses. 2 projects.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cessna928, Apr 29, 2010.

1. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    Ok, so I have two basses, a MIM Jazz and a Squire P, and I've been considering some improvements. As of right now I've already replaced the tuners and bridge on the Squire (stock were crap) and went over all the wiring in order to make it Fender stock (the original wiring was atrocious). The Jazz, on the other hand, is basically stock. I'm thinking that the next step in improving my axes will be to replace the pickups. I was thinking about the seymour duncan quarter pounder for the p's pickup, but don't really know about my jazz.

Any suggestions on jazz setup or quarter pounds in a p-bass?

I'd really like the jazz to be a good slap starter and the p-bass to be the same all around trainer it's always been, just with better sound quality. Thanks ahead of time for the feedback!

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    How about Dimarzio's?
    I've gotten some heavenly slap tones out
    of a Dimarzio equipped bass.

3. burl0029

burl0029 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    St. Paul Park, MN
    I have an American P with SD 1/4#-ers, strung with DA Chromes (50-105) and it sounds great. It definitely has some thud to it when I roll off the tone knob.

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I might slap once or twice a gig, but I'm not looking to start any sort of Marcus tribute or anything by a long shot. My passive J has DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pu's and it gives me a nice big warm, bold sound that works really well for slapping if I just open up the on-board passive tone a bit so that I've got extra bite in the higher freq's.

These pickups are reputed to have a mildly scooped personality in their tone compared with the DiMarzio Model J's, which supposedly offer a little stronger presence in their mids. While the Ultra J's may have a slightly more modern aspect that works well for slappage, I gather that the Model J's have more of a "standard J tone". Haven't tried a set of the Model J's yet, though.

I usually eq my preamp with a little boost in the mids regardless of what bass I'm playing and I've never wished I could get more of a mid colour in my tone with the Ultra J's. If you want to goose the slap potential in your Jazz, I'd expect these to deliver.

5. cessna928

cessna928

Mar 1, 2009
    Kentucky USA
    I just had a local craigslist find pay out with a $25 p-bass quarter pound pickup! Already threw it into the old squire and, while I was at it, went ahead and replace the crackley jack with a switchcraft I bought from hoagland bros and the cap with a (massive!!!) sprague I bought a year or so back. Its a completely different animal now. The tone nob ACTUALLY makes a change now, and the sound is up front as opposed to the "playing under a pillow" sound from my old ones. Sooo, you might say I'm pretty happy. Now I just need to sheild the heck out of the body cavity and replace the pots and I do believe my p-bass is done for a while.

Now lets focus on the Jazz. I'm thinking about setting it up so that I can switch from parallel to series with a push-pull pot. And I'm leaning towards DiMarzio's, but I don't wanna end up with DiMuddios. Are Fralins any good? I really have no idea when it comes to jazz pups.