2 Bassist 1 amp advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve2, Jun 8, 2002.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I may be in a strange situation. I have been playing bass for my church for over a year. I have gone there for about 10 years and we just started using the bass when I started playing. I play every service when I am there but every 3rd Sunday night I have to work. I was informed earlier today that there is somebody else that plays and wants to play when I can't be there which is fine. I am a solid player but what if he is GREAT? Anyway the Choir Director wants him to practice with the band and use both of us. First I take my Bass back and forth to Church. I am funny about anyone playing it. I have a mim J sunburst bass with US custom pups and tortise pickguard. I use MY 65 watt Laney RBW 100 at church. I use it as a monitor. The Laney has a DI and I run it thru our small Bose PA system. Well with this joint practice session they want us to use 2 basses at one time on. Could this damge my Laney or the PA. Maybe I am just paranoid since I will be feeling a little compatition.

Thanks for any advice.

2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, it shoudn't damage anything as long as you don't crank it to extreme levels BUT if your Laney doesn't have two seperate channels, one of the basses is going to hog more of the amp signal than the other. (I find a lot of choir/school band directors ect. don't know jack when it comes to guitars/basses/drums PA equipment ect.) I'm a bit confused though, by them saying that want you to plug two basses in at a time. Are you guys going to be playing at the same exact time, or do they just want the basses plugged in so it's easy for you guys to switch back and forth.

I wouldn't worry to much about the other player. Don't have any preconcived notions until you hear him. I've been blown away by bassist I was expecting to suck, and I've been dissappointed by bassist whom I was expecting to be great. If he is better than you, that's a chance for you to catch on what he's doing and learn some things. :)
  3. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Since I have been playing for a long time he wants the new bassist to practice the same time as I practice so he can learn the songs. I believe he will just be a backup when I am not there. I will have to wait and see. And I believe you are right on the comment about Directors don't know jack about brums bass and PA equipment. My bass amp has 1 channel and 2 inputs.

Thanks for input