Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 bassists...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dirtjumper2001, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Hey there, a few mates who are in a band have asked me if I wanna play with them. They have a bassist already so we're gunna see what its like havin two bassists in the band, good for a laugh I spose.Anyone got any experience of stuff like this?

2. There are tons of bands with two bassists. And it doesn't sound like a muddy mess if each player works off each other or knows what their "role" within the band is.

For reference, check out:
    Cop Shoot Cop
    Girls Against Boys
    Volta Do Mar
    Tortoise (on some songs, not all)
    Dianogah
    Ui

When I was in college, we tried to form an experimental outfit - 2 drummers and 4 bassists. Didn't really work out - I think that format was a little over the top!!! :eek:

I think you'll have a lot of fun.

3. I have jammed with another bassplayer in a band. I singed and added some stuff...

I know three bands in Mexico that have more than 1 bass player..

Molotov -they have 3, but only 2 play at the time and they play prettey much the same, just to back up the one who's "singing".
    Resorte _ 1 of them uses distortion most of the time and the other plays clean..
    Bajo 3 - lead and "background" basses.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    A mid 90's iteration of King Crimson had two bassists, Tony Levin and Trey Gunn. Very cool.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    The Cure has done some work with two or more bassists, and I think Joy Division did as well.

6. Some classic works of jazz had two bassists, but in all such albums one or both players were on DB, so they weren't stepping on each other as much.

Reference Coltrane's Ole, Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz, and some tracks on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Ned's Atomic Dustbin had 2 bassists. I like them alot.

8. There's a metal band called Necromantia with 2 bassists.

I believe one played a regular 4-string and the other one an 8-string doubled, replacing the guitarist.

I had thoughts too to form a 2 bassist band.
    I played along with an other bassist for about 2 years ago. It was fun, mostly to learn from each other. So do 2 guitarist I think when they are in a band.

Why shouldn't 2 the same instrument don't play well togheter. There are many examples: guitars, violins, accordeons, piano's, trumpets,...
    why not basses.

Most bassist are solitary I guess, only thinking of adding low en to an ensemble. But they can work togheter; one playing rythmicly the other lead, the same melody over an harmony, one starting a riff the other ending it, one slapping the other creating a bass synth sound.

It's a matter of give and take, but I assume that guitarist are more familiar with that.

9. awesome

awesome

Aug 14, 2002
    Belgium
    What?! ...Cure-songs with 2 bassist? :confused:
    I can't remember hearing 2 basses at any of there songs and I'm a huge cure-fan.
    They did change from bassplayer a few times and Robert played some bass in the studio but never did they play with 2 bassist together.
    If I'm wrong, let me know

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's my buddy who told me this, and I'm pretty sure I'm right about that, but you never know. I'll ask him for some examples, and to tell me who it was. He's the Joy Division fan too.

11. Their guitarist played a fender bass VI often. It is a baritone guitar... 28" scale length tuned like a guitar but one octave down like a bass.
    ~Ad

12. Santana also has 2 bassplayers.

one of them is Dutch :)
    the other one is warwick endorser.

13. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    If i was going to play in a band with another bass player, i would definitely go for piccolo :D

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's not a baritone guitar. Baritone's are tuned a 5th lower than a guitar. The Fender Bass VI and Danelectro Tic Tac bass are tuned in the same octave as a bass, they just happen to have 2 more strings and narrower spacing.

15. i find that very humorous :D