2 beginner questions.....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by deadweeds, Oct 31, 2002.

1. deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    ok I just started out on bass and will be getting lessons soon from a teacher...but for now there's 2 questions of something I'm wondering about.....

1.When playing with the fingers(picking hand)....are you supposed to push the strings down..or are you supposed to pick them like you would with a pick?I'm assuming you dont really need to press down on them but have noticed a fuller sound when you do...but it seems much more difficult to play like that....

2.Learning scales right now.....something really basic and simple to more experienced players....say you go from the 5th to the 8th fret on the g string...hold down the string individually with each finger...index to pinky to the 8th...is your hand supposed to rock slightly like a chair would?..or sort of like a u-shape movement with the hand...sorry I can't explain it much better....I'm assuming that is an improper technique...but if not I'd like to know...

Like I said I'll be getting taught by a teacher starting this weekend....

2. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK

1) Yes. ;) There's a whole range of different ways you can strike the strings and it all depends on the tone you're looking for.

2) Yes. Your hand can move a bit - it doesn't have to static but can dance a bit.

However, I suspect you'll probably get the most useful answers from your teacher, who can see what you're doing, make a suggestion and check that you've found a way to make it work for you. Enjoy your forthcoming lesson :cool:

3. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I played for a year before I started taking lessons. The very first thing the teacher did was make me change my plucking technique from kind of plucking the strings (I would lift my finger up towards my hand after plucking) to sort of pushing the strings (the way you'd have to pluck if you were to follow through and land on the next lower (pitch) string. The new way gives me a much fuller sound and I'm mostly used to it now, but I can't play quite as fast or as evenly as I could before.

This was the second thing my teacher didn't like about my technique. While a bit of rocking is normal, I think, if your fingers are stronger and can stretch better, you won't need to do it as much. And I guess I rocked a lot out of habit when I didn't really need to.

Like wulf said, your teacher will get you straightened out... Enjoy your lessons. :)

4. My fingers rock just a little bit and yes your index finger is sopose to stay down, mine comes up just a little because my fingers do not stretch that far jsut yet. I have been playing for a month so I am still working on stretching a stuff, but I am getting there. And you will too. The other thing is that when I pluck the strings with a sharp upperward motion landing on the next lower string (or on my thumb if I am playing the lowest string) and this style tends to give me the best sound. Good Luck and Welcome to the Coolest instrument in the world