Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 bergantino ht 115 together

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    because of oppertunity I've aquired 2 berg 115's I used them 2 twice last week>Great!!! just left of modern just what I was going for(plus a good standalone) I used a ampeg svp-cl and my WWU as a power amp.

I asked Jim about this he said he never tried that combo.

have any of you?

Aj

2. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I was wondering about this combination! I have an HT115 and an HT210, and I like the 115 better as a standalone. I was thinking two 115s would sound awesome as well. I'm surprised Jim never tried it out of curiousity anyway. The 115 is warmer and more midrange-friendly than the HT210...seems like a winning pair!

-Aram

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When I stack my HT115 on top of my HT210, I kind of miss the quickness of the tens.... but I still think the 115 sounds great on top or soloed. So, I'd be fine with a 115/115 stack!

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Could you explain what you mean by mid-range friendly? Do you mean the mids are more subdued, more mellow? That's not saying the HT-210 mids are too forward, is it?

5. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY

No, the opposite -- to me, the HT210 has a scooped midrange (Marcus Miller sounding, if you will), so I would consider that to be subdued. It can easily be dialed out, but all things equal (or as equal as you can get them in bass amplification), the HT115 will have a comparatively more 'open' midrange...meaning no scoop, or less scoop anyway, which I think would be more forward-sounding. The 115 also has a nice 'airy' feel (and I realize these adjectives might be meaningless, so bear with me), which I liken more to the NV series Bergantinos.

I've found that I prefer a more midrangey/airy/forward sound not just tonally, but also for practical purposes. I feel like you don't need as much wattage to push mids out into the mix, whereas a scooped sound generally requires more volume behind it to be heard. Then of course, you're too loud out in the audience. I believe that might be the premise behind the HT210s cabinet that just came out -- more up front sound -- but I have yet to try one, so that's just speculation. That said, the Berg 210 does complement the 115 quite well, and even as a standalone the 210 is a pretty badass cabinet.

I hope that's clear...let me know if I can clarify anything.

Best,
    Aram

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I have to admit I thought I was going to get a 210 and a 115 but the second 115 came up at a price I could'nt turn down.

Jim talking theory basially paraphrased what Aram said about the difference between the 210 and the 115. He did talk somehting about upper mids of the 10's driver being more than the 115.

All I know is it sounds good!

Aj

:bassist:

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I taught Jim everything he knows :cool: ;) :D

8. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Andrew -- can you comment at all on the different amp configurations you used? For instance, why are you bi-passing the WW pre? I've always wondered how WW amps would sound with Bergies (not that they're in the cards for me at all). I drive my rig with a GK head now, and it sounds perfect -- the dry GK sound complements the warmth of the Bergs really well...

9. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I have the HT-310 so I think I know what you're talking about now. Thanks for the info.

I'll bet the twin HT-115 rig sounds old skool but with some added midrange presence. Come to think of it, a lot of small 15's are like that - Bag End and Mesa come to mind.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have had a pair of berg 112's and WWU for a couple of years now. Playing a passive jazz and a passive P I've allways used a sansamp to Brown things up a bit.

So for the new Big rig I got a svp-cl.The only reason I was bypassing the WW's pre is I wanted to hear what I got. I havent purchased a power amp yet.

Aj

11. Lots of good info in this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153709&page=3&pp=20

But here's a summary:

Jonathan and Needmorebass also have a WWU and Bergie Stack.

Sean

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Bergantino rules! :D :bassist:

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's exactly what the cab is all about. It's a 210 with midrange punch. I was very impressed by it as a stand alone cab.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Aram, I like the way you think! :) I couldn't agree more.

I've posted before that I'd never been 'wowed' by a cab with a 15" speaker until I received my HT115. I'd used 15's in the past out of necessity, but I was never knocked out by my tone. The HT115 sounds quicker to my ears, plus the horn Jim uses is the first horn (or tweeter) that I really like. IMO 2 HT115's would be a killer setup.

-Art

15. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    That's awesome, Art -- the HT115 is definitely in a class by itself. My new favorite, reasonably portable setup is my 1001RB-II and the 115 by itself. Played a couple of great shows with that rig...

-Aram

16. Great info guys, thanks.
    General question here:
    Do you guys have casters on your HT115?
    If so do you remove them and set on the deck?
    Anyone try one on a Gramma Pad?

I think the HT115 may be another great choice for me as a stand alone/single cab. It's also good to know that a 210 or another 115 on top/bottom would be a monsterous outside gig rig. I've seen the raves about the 210/115 combo since their arrival.

For me and my outside gig application it's going to be something like this... Powered by the CA9 + Demeter201s

NV610 with one or two Berg 112s. (already have)
    or
    4 Berg 112's = HT/EX + HT/EX
    or
    HT210/115
    or
    HT210s/112sub
    or
    2 HT115

I have a feeling though the HT210/115 would probably be the best for projection and hearing myself for the great outdoors, with the double mini stack running a close second. Some day I WILL find out.

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hey Big -

I don't have casters on my HT115...it's actually surprisingly light for a 115. The 210 is noticably heavier.

I have a gramma (per your recommendation actually) that I use with my 210/115 stack. I never really A/B'd it extensively but 'boom' has never been a problem for me at any gig since I got it, so I consider it to be doing its job. I didn't use it on either gig with the single 115, but only because I forgot it. For one of the gigs, though, I stacked the 115 on its side with the tweeter up, because I was sitting close to it.

As far as your prospective outdoor rigs, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them tonally. I've noticed that Bergantino's cabinets are not radically different from one another, but rather have subtle differences -- the 115 and 210 are a perfect example: the 115 sounds as tight as any 210 I've heard, but compare them side-by-side and you can hear a bit more midrange presence. It's just enough to make me really curious about owning another 115....I've said it before, Bergantinos are like crack.

-Aram

18. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I used the HT210/115 stack for a while. I like the 15 but always fought with the 10...the 10 is scooped. I liked the 15 better as a stand alone and did discuss with Jim that maybe I would like two 15's better...I am surprised he didn't try them together just for grims one day...odd. Two cabs of the same type seem to work better for me than mixing cabs with different driver sizes. I suspect this is why the Berg mini stack sounds so good in the gig environment.

Jim did say the new 210 was designed to have more presence about it and less fundamental...kind of like the 12's.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

I used to have two HT210's and I ended up going back to the 112 stack. I agree, the HT210 is too scooped for me as well. Now, the HT210s is a completely different story. Once the sub112 comes out I'll pic up the set and see what it does on a gig. I'm extremely impressed so far though from hearing the HT210s and the prototype 112sub.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You know, what I'd REALLY like to see would be a sub to go under the HT112. I still prefer the sound of the 12's but I'd love more natural low end. Jim always has things in development so maybe we'll see that one day.