1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Cabs 1 head ¿***?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heavyfunkmachin, Aug 2, 2012.

1. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Hi!

I've searched without luck, and to be honest, I'm too worry to try anything and risking my new setup without an internet forum's aproval ;)

So, I have the ampeg portaflex pf-500 head (500 wats at 4 ohms) and 2 GK MBE 212 cabs at 8ohms.

And I'm trying to connect both cabs to the head... only to find this are the head connections and this is how the cab looks from behind

So the question is... Where do I connect what??

I used to connect a single cab from speakon to speakon... but How do I Connect 2 8 ohms cabs to bring them down to 4 ohms?

Both connected to the head one trough the speakon connnector and one trouch the jack connection?

One connected to the head and the other one connected to the cab?

Something else?

Im puzzled!

:confused:

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    No prob. The small hole in the center of the SpeakOn jack will accept a regular 1/4" cable. Or you can do one speaker with just SpeakOn, both ends, and the other with 1/4" both ends. Those particular SpeakOns are the combination types, so it looks.

Or just use all 1/4". Plug one speaker into one of the jacks on the amp, and the other speaker into the other one. Voila! 4 ohms.

3. nitromullet

nitromullet

Mar 29, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    You use the 1/4" jack next to the Speakon for the second cab in addition to the Speakon you are currently using with the first cabinet.

page 14 http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/PF_heads_OM.PDF

My Markbass LittleMark II is the same. It only has a single speakon connector paired with a 1/4".

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes, connect both to the head, one through the 1/4", the other through the Speakon. Heads normally have parallel outputs.

5. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    All the jacks are in parallel, which means any way you choose to connect them will be fine.

You can connect them:
    Head-cab-cab
    or
    Head-cab/head-cab
    using any of the jacks and it will result in a 4 ohm load.

6. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY
    Seeing this makes me wonder...would a "Y" speakon cable work?

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Seeing this make me wonder:
    Why would any manufacturer only put one Speakon on a head or cab?

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    They do it because there isn't a whole lot of room back there. OP, the tidiest way to do it so that you've got the most reliable and fool proof connections - speakon cable to the first cab, speakon cable from that cab to the second one. You'll need to wire a second speakon jack to the mb cab.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Do not use a Y cable, they are for running two cabs in series not parallel, both cabs will run but it will become a 16 ohm load instead of a 4 ohm load.

I am sure some Y cables work in parallel but be warned, you do not want to run the cabs in series, they will be quiet.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Looking at the photo linked in the OP, it seems there's enough space to put a 2nd combo Speakon where the 1/4" jack is.

11. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    Thanks for all the answers!!

The problem is solved... I have to wonder why didn't they put 2 speakon outs, but at least now I can connect both cabs... :bassist:

12. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Maybe for more flexibility, many don't have speaking cables, etc. It's still a transition time, but I bet you eon't see many 1/4" jacks in a few years time.

13. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Those speakon connectors will accept a 1/4" inside the center hole. The speakon is an accommodating lady, and she can take the small 1/4 or even the massive Speakon Male counterpart.