1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 cabs, 1 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Exopolicy, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Exopolicy

Exopolicy

Apr 28, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    So, heres the scoop. I've got 2 cabs (GK 1x15 @ 8ohms AND Mesa 6x10 @ @ 4ohms), and I have a Mesa MPulse 600 with 2 4 ohms outs. Now, I set it up thinking it would all go great, however I ended up having to repair my 1x15. I know what I did wrong(loss of ohms), but how can I correct my rig. Is there a power amp, or driver I could purchase to get this train goin again? Thanks to everyone for reading and careing, haha.

Benjamin.

2. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    You either need a stereo power amp that does 4 ohm loads per side (one cabinet per side in your case), or a mono amp that does 2.67 ohms, which is what you have as a total load for an 8 and 4 ohm cabinet. Of course, you could get a stereo amp that mono-bridges down to 2 ohms which would effectively allow you to knock people deaf.

3. Exopolicy

Exopolicy

Apr 28, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    any suggestions as to what brand or a specific item?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Plug the Mesa 610 into the Mesa amp, done. Use your 15 for something else.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

6. Exopolicy

Exopolicy

Apr 28, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    I love having the 1x15 for the low end, the 6x10 doesnt give me that. I think I'm going to get another head for the 15", a Mesa Walkabout.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the 6x10 isn't giving you low end then something is wrong with it. Which specific models are the cabs? Best yet do you have a link to the specs so I don't have to look them up? :p

8. The ampeg SVT 4 pro has a stereo power amp (I think)

9. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I understand about wanting that 15 for the extra low end, but is the 610 really not kickin it for you? I would suggest a head that can run at 2ohms. I ran an 18 cab (8 ohm) and an 810 (4 ohm) with an SVT-CL and it was pretty seismic.