Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

2 cabs=no hi-fi????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diezel420, Apr 24, 2002.

1. I heard somewhere around here that an 8x10 (regardless of brand) would not be able to offer a "hi-fi" sound. Is this really true?

I was wondering because I have been (daydreaming) trying to figure out what my ultimate set-up would be (which would include getting a "hi-fi" sound; think Nathan East/Marcus Miller/others like), whick would include either Epifani 4x10 and 1x15 or two Epifani 4x10 cabs.

True, it's not true 8x10 with two seperate cabs, but would having the two cabs sacrifice an accurate (not sterile, though), "hi-fi" sound?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Ill have a stab. AFAIK the 8-10 cabs being built now are more of a "rock bass" cab. To me "hi-fi" means a flat response across the spectrum. Most cabs have some coloration added to them, like eden they have a nice little mid hump. Some people like it and some dont. Most bass cabs start to roll-off around 50hz-40hz but there are some cabs that extend the bass and remain "somewhat" flat ( acme, eden xst but still has some coloration). Coloration can be good or bad depending on what you want, me ...I like it. The same also applies to the high end, just because you have a tweeter doesn't mean it is capable of producing all the harmonics and little sounds that come out of the bass. There are only a few systems that produce a flat response, the bag-end elf comes to mind but its very pricey. Wow I could go on for a while so i will quit spewing my random thoughts.

4. The type of player who wants an uncolored sound is probably not playing a style of music that demands the volume produced by an 8x10 cab.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think the 8x10 with the least amount of coloration would be the SWR Megoliath. seemed pretty clear to me.