1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 channel amps (for 2 sep. basses)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hamertek98, Oct 30, 2010.

1. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    Searching for a small head that I can run 2 basses with, a standard tuned and a dropped tune. I see that Marbass has the LMK. I may look into the Radial Bassbone. Just wondering whats out there other than a splitter a/b box.

I tried the search, but didn't really find much. I'll be running 2 d410xlt's, both are 8 ohms.

Thanks

2. Does it take too much time to unplug one and plug in the other? I am just wondering why you need this. There is a floor unit that allows up to two instruments and 4 amps; I am looking for the name now...

3. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
  4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    1+ for the F-2B. I've had one for 28 years, and still love it.

Acoustic Image Clarus+ is another one.
    The AI Clarus+ also has balanced XLR inputs in addition to 1/4" inputs.
    I just got a Clarus+ and am loving it too.

5. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    I will check into the VT pedal. I may lean toward the Radial. Just curious what kind of small amps (heads) are out there. Seems there's a lotta light weight gear out there.

6. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    I'm lazy. And more tone control when switching from passive to active, etc.

7. If you're looking for a lightweight solution check the Tec AmpBonafide. 820Watts @ 4ohm and weights just 2.2kg

8. Why do guitar amps often have two or more channels. There's a swing band that I sometimes play with. There are two bass players but the provided amp has one input. Thus if we need to switch out we have to unplug one and plug the other in and we can't play at the same time.

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Guitar heads may be your lowest cost option.

And yes.. plugging/unplugging is ghetto.. .. switching cords are a good option if necessary.

10. The Bonafide is the solution for that, Two amps in a single unit, it even has separate pre and power sections. it's quite expensive though.

11. I currently use the MoMark LMK, I usually use it for my stereo bass....#1 channel for bass and the #2 channel for treble PU's. for a summed mono output.

Lately, I been using 2 heads, the LMK for the treble(bridge PU)...using both channels(one for solo/highlites) and a F1 for the bass(neck PU). a true stereo set-up.
    For many years I used my trusty/dependable Peavey Mark IV(2 channels)....still have it...it never quits!

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    One channel is usually clean and one is usually distorted, or rhythm tone and a lead tone. They are not normally used for switching between different guitars.

A simple ABY box would solve your second problem very easily.

13. Sigh

14. Not really but we'll let that slide. Originally the two channels were for two different players to use the same amp. Some were set up for accordion and guitar.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    What I do is Korg PitchBlack + into Radial Bassbone. Each input on the Korg can have it's own tuning standard. So I step on the tuner to change basses, then on the Radial which I use for gain balancing and EQ balancing if necessary.

Yes, swapping chords takes too long and is kinda bush league IMO.

16. Paul is right, amps had two channels one could run two diffeent instruments through the same amp.

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    How do you figure not really? Whether that's what they were designed for is another story...it's how the strong majority use them now.

18. hamertek98

hamertek98

Apr 3, 2004
    Indiana
    4mal, Are you using your tuner as a dedicated mute switch? I thought (but clearly I have no idea) that the Bassbone would let me use 2 dedicated preamps (built in) for FOH. I see where the Bassbone has an option for another Radial product to use for muting.

I guess I should've put more in my first question. I would like to know what kind of small heads are out there, that I can use two basses with, without changing cables. Problems with an ABY would be one bass is running hotter and needs a different eq setting than another bass. I'd like to get away from that. Two pres in one amp would be ok, I think, for what I need. If I can control them. I don't want to be a soundmans nightmare when switching basses.

The bassbone, from what I've read, can do that fine. I'd just like to know what heads are out there, that can do the same job.

The Pope pre and the Alembic pre look mighty fine. But, I'm kinda after a small head to do the job. And I can't afford those pres right now. I MAY look into a used Alembic and a lightweight amp, but I'd like to keep it 2U for now. I'll throw up some stuff to sell or trade next week and see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the info! Keep 'em coming!

19. Maybe originally, however, I have never, ever seen them used that way. It's almost always clean/dirty or lead/rhythm.