1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 Channel audio interface (Mac) for tape transfer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Jul 27, 2012.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I figured I'd cut out all the dubious searching and just post up. :oops:

I've recently moved and I realized I have cases of cassette tapes of all my past bands' output (live soundboards, practice recordings, demos, etc.). I'd LOVE to get out from underneath the dead format and get them digitized...thus my fall/winter project.

I'm looking for a good quality basic 2 channel interface for the sole purpose of this tape transfer. Even simple RCA inputs would be fine. I'm in the sub-100$ neighborhood for this use, cheap but reasonable quality is appreciated.

I have a great 16 channel digital rig I use for the band but I don't want to use it. I was a single small unit to keep at home and leave at my computer work station.

What say you all about a 2 channel interface, reasonably priced, low on features? USB is fine. I'll be recording with a quadcore Macbook pro and a later version of Cubase.

I've never looked at simple 2 channel stripped down interfaces. :confused:

2. shewhorn

shewhorn

Jan 30, 2012
    Boston, MA
    http://www.sweetwater.com

Click on computer recording->audio interfaces->usb interfaces and then sort by price, $50-$100. There's a number of options there. Lexicon has a unit for $60. You'll an adapter that goes from RCA female to 1/4" (or a an RCA male to 1/4" male cable).

Since you'll be transferring cassette recordings, audio quality isn't going to play a huge role as pretty much anything you get is going to have a noise floor way below that of cassette tape. Just aim for lowest price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha/

Cheers, Joe

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's a nice little interface...but too much connectivity for me. I don't need the Midi or what looks to be optic through...I have several Motu 8-Pre with all the bells and whistles, Looking for something that's a quick easy plug and play unit to D/A stereo two channel.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Another option is a Zoom H2 or similar
    Plug the tape deck straight into the line in and record raw onto a memory card.
    Every few tapes walk the memory card over to the PC to copy/burn CD/DVD's

H2 also has a USB ASIO interface.

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I've used this little guy to record song ideas/make sound clips, etc., for the past 4-5yrs. Reliable, does a great job & sounds good - no noise. It doesn't have USB ouput, but it sounds like that may not be a big deal to you. Plus it does have a nice selection of RCA & TRS inputs a few extra channels, phantom power, etc. - some nice features for such a small board. It might suit your needs & then some for what it is...Best of luck! :cool:

6. Another reccomendation for the Lexicon Alpha, i use mine for a lot nowadays, including some of my bands recordings.

Liam